Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

Central Air Outside Unit Fan Failed / Compressor Overheated / Not Working Now

Old 08-12-11, 05:53 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have an Armstrong Concept 10 unit with a Copeland 3 ton compressor. When I came home today the fan had locked up on the outside unit. I assume the compressor overheated and won't start now. Just wondering if there is something I can check or do. Is replacement of the compressor my only option?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-11, 06:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
If the fan spins freely with power removed, you may only need to replace the run capacitor.

The compressor can be cooled with a water hose to reset the thermal lockout. (turn off power first)

Old 08-12-11, 06:36 PM
S
the compressor tripped as it should of with no condenser fan running...shhut off disconnect put a garbage bag over it an run a spray over it...or just leave off overnight to cool off.in the morning power it bak up no stat calling and take a pencil and push the contacotr in just for a second ..if compressor runs its OK...now consider as suggested new cap...was the body of the fan motor super hot.

Old 08-12-11, 07:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In 20 years of service I have never used a trash bag to cool a compressor. What do you cover?

The fan motor gets hot when you need a new cap.

Old 08-13-11, 03:59 AM
S
30yrs in the field the COMPRESSOR...DAH commercial equipment get condensers washed and any and all item within range and ba booom on a restart this guy has problems already little caution ..won't make another 13 gallon bag you use for kitchen container works great... did you think i was talking about the entire condenser

Old 08-13-11, 04:09 AM
N
The fan was hot when I first noticed the unit not working. The fan spins freely but I need to push it to get it to spin. Otherwise it just buzzes. When I take off the cover I see four major components. The fan, the compressor, the capacitor, and a small electrical circuit component (must be the contactor).

The contactor looks like this ...

Not sure if I should replace that as well as the capacitor. What do I push with the pencil?

Old 08-13-11, 07:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm surprised the trash bags don't melt to the compressor. Guess they are not very hot when you do this. It is not required, the compressor runs just fine in the rain, probably wouldn't hurt though

Replacing that single pole, 24 volt contactor wouldn't be a bad idea.

Push here to manually engage the contactor...

Old 08-13-11, 08:12 AM
N
OK After letting it cool all night the fan still needs a push to start and the compressor doesn't start. I am going to try changing the capacitor. The contactor seems to be engaged as the fan runs after a push.

Here is a picture of the device. Armstrong SCU10B36A-3, Copeland CR34KF-PFV-130

Haven't taken the capacitor off yet to get the specs. Hopefully I can find somebody local who carries the parts.

Old 08-13-11, 08:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would not buy a contactor before proving that the compressor will run.
I hope the cap values are not written on the rusty part of that dual capacitor.
The top of the compressor and the fan motor may also display capacitor requirements.

Sears has a $30 meter that can measure caps.

You should read plus or minus 6% of the listed value. (10% is listed on some caps)

Old 08-13-11, 12:34 PM
N
Smile

I went ahead and bought a new capacitor for $40 at a local parts dealer. Just put it in. Everything is working great! Thank you so much for your replies! Greatly appreciated.

Old 09-03-12, 03:49 PM
H
Mind sharing the microfarad rating on the capacitor? I cannot find it anywhere. The old cap is completely rusted, and the manual only says to check the side of the old cap, go figure. I have the exact same compressor (cr34kf-pfv-130). Many thanks.