evaporator coil condensation leak?

Old 08-14-11, 12:40 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
evaporator coil condensation leak?

I have about a 12"'x12" wet spot on my ceiling directly below the air handler (which is in the attic). I poked a hole in it and no water came out, so there does not seem to be standing water there. The secondary drain pan is relatively full, but below the level of it's drain pipe. (For some reason that drain pipe has been cut off at the garage ceiling, so in theory it should be dumping water on my garage floor, but there's no evidence that it has done so.) Should I be concerned about the presence of water in the secondary drain pan? I know it could be evidence that the main condensate drain pipe is clogged, but that main drain pipe (which DOES go to the outside of the house) IS actively dripping. We just bought this house in January and we had the AC system inspected by a well-recommended professional at that time. We are NOT having any problems with the AC properly cooling the house and there is no evidence of the coils being frozen. Note: I live in south Florida and it has been very hot and humid lately. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-14-11, 02:12 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Either the drain line(s) or pans are clogged and/or leaking. First, blow out the drain lines and inspect the pans the best you can. Flush with a bleach solution and then clear water. See if you can run a snake or electrical fish tape down (or up) the drain pipes.

The dripping at the main drainline outlet doesn't prove much. It could be clogged somewhere above the outlet and the leak through the drain pipe's wall or joint may be slower than the leak past the clog.

I'm not surprised the home inspector didn't find the problem last January - look how long it took for you to discover the leak (assuming the leak didn't start until after you bought the house).

Old 08-14-11, 04:17 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
the secondary should never have water in it. It is only to protect water from coming through the ceiling as it did. As previously stated you need to check the primary drain line and ensure it is not partially clogged. The secondary drain line that stops in the garage is like that for a purpose to indicate to you the homeowner that you have a problem. I recommend a wet switch for the secondary drain pan that will shut the system off if there is any water in the secondary. This will prevent water from coming through the ceiling as has already happened by shutting the system off so the secondary does not fill with water.

Old 08-15-11, 06:20 AM
S
BOTH LINES ARE BLOCKED... shut the unit off FAN and cooling at the stat..go up into the attic with a 3' piece of hose garden clear whatever..an a piece of paper towel remove the fan access panel reach in wet the towel put a garbage can under that garage drain line...insert the hose with the towel wrapped 2" from the end of it on that emergency pan opening in the pan and blow on the hose... then do the same within the unit might have to do it blind but it is all dirt dust garbage.keep in mind the water in the emergency panel dripped out the panels and all the insulation should be wet..cycle a soda bottle full water on both..might want to extend that garage drain outside to run in the driveway...and yes the unit drain line was dripping water but not flowing..give a call to the servcie company and let them know they missed checking the drain lines could of been left over from the winter before you bought the place...every spring run water on both lines up in the attic to clear the dried out stuff from the past summer..

Old 08-15-11, 12:27 PM
D
Thanks, everyone. That's all very helpful. The insulation was not wet, so hopefully it's not quite that bad. I'll call my AC guy and have him come out and take a look. I greatly appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: