A Coil Frozen Again

Old 08-28-11, 02:47 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A Coil Frozen Again

This is the second time this year the A coil has frozen up on me. Last time was really bad. Thankfully this time I caught it early as I was preparing to install a damper into a trunk line.

I changed the filter out last time (about 3 months ago) and it had been working fine since then. It's not especially cold out and the filter was dirty (not as bad as last time) so what do you think? Is is just the filter that needs swapping? Do I need more cold air return? Am I low on coolant?

Thanks!

Old 08-28-11, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Very few filters except the big 5" thick filters will go 3 months. They may not look "dirty" but they can still be clogged.

I'm no HVAC Pro...but in the few systems that I've messed with...none of them have adequate returns. That makes changing the filter even more important.

If the issue goes away with a filter change and everything works fine....then I would think your best recourse would be to get the info from the manual on what kind of returns are needed.

I found that my old house was undersized massively. Was supposed to have two 20 x 20 with a certain sized duct for full capacity, as I remember, but it had one 20 x 20 and a 14 x 14 with a much too small in the wall chase for downstairs.

Old 08-28-11, 03:44 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yeah i figured I was probably a little slow on changing out the filter, but they are a special size so I end up having to order them from amazon and if I'm changing them out every month it sure would be nice to have to spend $12+/filter.

And I am pretty sure my return is low. I don't think they have nearly enough. They installed two gigantic units in the house (heat pumps with electric back up heat) and they are way overkill in my opinion. I think it was a job done by a low bidder as the duct work is really bad too. I am spending a chunk of my fall fixing all of that.

Originally Posted by Gunguy45
Very few filters except the big 5" thick filters will go 3 months. They may not look "dirty" but they can still be clogged.

I'm no HVAC Pro...but in the few systems that I've messed with...none of them have adequate returns. That makes changing the filter even more important.

If the issue goes away with a filter change and everything works fine....then I would think your best recourse would be to get the info from the manual on what kind of returns are needed.

I found that my old house was undersized massively. Was supposed to have two 20 x 20 with a certain sized duct for full capacity, as I remember, but it had one 20 x 20 and a 14 x 14 with a much too small in the wall chase for downstairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: