ac outside fan not working

Old 09-08-11, 09:24 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ac outside fan not working

Well, first off when I turn the AC on auto or cool i hear it click on and can feel a small breeze come out of the vents but after about 30mins it stays the same temperature. So I go out side to check the fan and the unit in not running. I do hear a noise but I'm not sure what it is (it sounds like it is running) so i go back in and go to my power box and turn off both units the heater and the ac wait 10secs then turn back on try again and still not running. Then I go to my t-stat and make sure all the wires are in nice and tight then I reset the t-stat by pressing the button that says reset and holding it. Still nothing, so I once again go back out side to the unit and pull the lever to turn off the power then on the top where the fan connects to the top half of the unit has 4 bolt. I tighten all 4 bolts and wiggle the wires that are connected to the fan and then i turn the power back on still nothing. I go back inside to the t-stat and turn off the AC, wait 5 mins and turn it back on then go back out side to see if the fan is running. Still nothing, so I got a little mad at it and shook it and it turned on 5 mins later after i go inside i go back out and its off again so i grabbed a butter knife and i kinda rotated the blades with it I gave it a good spin and it started again for about 5 mins every time. I give it a little spin it starts up and turns off, 5-20 mins later. Not sure what is wrong, any help?

Old 09-09-11, 07:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
There are two copper lines connected to the outdoor unit. After leaving the thermostat off for about an hour, turn it to "cool" & set the temperature several degrees below room temp. Go outside & feel both of the copper lines. If there is a temperature difference (small line warmer than large line) we know the compressor is running. If this is the case you most likely have a bad capacitor for the fan motor. It is possible the fan motor itself is bad but capacitors a common problem, inexpensive, & easy to replace.

Old 09-09-11, 10:32 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think that is the problem, one copper line is cold and the other is warm. Thanks for the info that must be the problem heading to store to get it fixed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: