A/C fan motor

Old 09-09-11, 07:44 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C fan motor

I have a Gibson central A/C it seems the outside fan motor is not working what it does I will start the unit and take a stick to spin the fan it will work for about five min then stop. I look up the fan motor online and can't find any, how can I find a compatible fan motor to my unit outside, here the model number to the one I have K48HXFTM-403

Old 09-11-11, 01:41 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
you most likely only need a capacitor.

Old 09-12-11, 11:12 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I change the capacitor the fan started to work then shut off did not blow cold air. before I change the capacitor the fan would not start gave it a push work for 20 min then shut off. I can't climp the capacitor because this one seems to be bigger then the old one not sure if that matter maybe capacitor need to be grounded.

Old 09-12-11, 11:39 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I just fixed my sister's A/C which has the same problem as yours. push it, it runs, new cap, it starts, but only for a few minutes. At end, I replaced fan motor, that fixed problem.

Old 09-12-11, 02:06 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It won't blow cold if the outdoor fan does not work! A capacitor is most often the cause, but not always. It is much cheaper to try just a capacitor than to just replace the motor out right. It is also much cheaper to replace the capacitor than it is to buy the meter to properly check the capacitance of a capacitor. I would now replace the fan motor in your situation. Make sure the new capacitor is the correct value for the motor you will be installing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: