Amana PGB with new Dual Run Capacitor still not working

Old 09-09-11, 09:08 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Amana PGB with new Dual Run Capacitor still not working

I had a professional HVAC company out a while back and they let me know that the Dual Run Capacitor for the Compressor was only holding a 12.8 charge instead of the 15 it should have and would need to be replaced. My AC finally died and I went out bought and replaced the dual run capacitor for the compressor since they recommended it and it had obviously leaked all over and didn't 'pop' when I attempted to discharge it.

Now the AC initiates and the fans/motor seems to start up but there is a electric whine every 50-60 seconds sounding like the compressor trying to initiate but eventually failing and the whole house fan starts up instead of the AC.

Is my compressor shot? Or may be another capacitor needs replacing?

Not sure if I can survive the rest of a hot Cali summer on unemployment budget and no AC =)

Old 09-10-11, 07:41 AM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
What type of condenser you have ? charge 15 is odd, usually you see 5/30 or 7/35 capaciotors,, etc...but not 12 or 15. what kind of dual run capacitor you get ? After you installed the new capacitor, did the fan start ? did the compressor start ?

Old 09-10-11, 09:23 AM
V
Not sure on the condenser info. The DRC was a 35/5 370V same as the old one. The 15 references the ohm measurement that a functional DRC on my model should have. After installation the unit fires up and sound like the compressor is trying to start the fan blades are moving but the air blowing isn't really AC and eventually the unit turns of and the whole house fan engages instead.

Old 09-10-11, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
The real problem here is that you used inadequate info from a service company to make a repair yourself.
The repair person should have said that it is "most likely" that the wrong resistance reading on the capacitor is a "possible cause" of your problem.

The normal course of events is that if the repair person thought it was the capacitor they would replace it to see its effect.
It is common to not be able to fully diagnose a problem without replacing a component.

The compressor could be shot but you would need to check the winding resistance then use a clamp on ammeter to further diagnose the problem.

Old 09-10-11, 06:48 PM
R
only one cap, unless you have a much older unit when they had compressors that needed a start cap as well. sounds like the compressor is going off on overload. if the condenser fan comes on and no breakers are tripping then you should have the compressor looked at. if you have a multi meter we can assist you in seeing if your compressor is ok.

Old 09-11-11, 01:36 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by veemaree

Now the AC initiates and the fans/motor seems to start up but there is a electric whine every 50-60 seconds sounding like the compressor trying to initiate but eventually failing and the whole house fan starts up instead of the AC.
if your system has a hard start kit I would replace it, if it does not then I would add one. But are you sure you installed the wires on the same terminals they came off of on the old capacitor?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: