Is this capacitor failure?

Old 09-12-11, 11:16 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 49 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Is this capacitor failure?

My Sears window AC is just two seasons old but this year its Delta-T has been, at best, 12 degrees F. Last season I could turn the same room into an ice box. I posted here a while back asking for help souping it up but I guess my questions were too vague and no one could help. One of the possible causes I'd wondered about was a weak capacitor. I didn't -- still don't -- know if they can go bad gradually or if they always fail totally all at once.

Anyway, yesterday it stopped producing any cooling whatsoever and I no longer hear the compressor kick in. I can twist the temperature knob seven ways to Sunday and there's no change in the sound unless I twist it to the "Fan only" position.

Does this sound typical of a failed run capacitor?

If yes, is this something a reasonably mechanical guy with more tools than skill could perform? If yes, is there likely to be more than one capacitor, or something else I might confuse for the failed capacitor?

Old 09-12-11, 02:23 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
It does not sound like a capacitor. If you have lost capacity over the course of 2 years, and now the compressor does not run, I would bet you have a refrigerant leak and now the compressor is failed.

Old 09-12-11, 05:50 PM
F
Thanks for that, hvactechfw. I removed the capacitor and checked the resistance between the common terminal and the 'herm' terminal. It checks 87.3 ohms which I take to mean it ain't the capacitors fault. Would that be your take, too?

Old 09-12-11, 05:52 PM
no, that would not be my take because that is not how you test a capacitor. You would need a meter that checks capacitance. (micro farads)

Old 09-12-11, 06:21 PM
F
Hmmmm ...my multimeter seems to have lost all its farads. I knew I should've bought a fluke.

Is that the sort of thing they will test for the customer at an HVAC parts store?

Old 09-12-11, 06:22 PM
probably not. A capacitor is very cheap. If you really want to just by one for less than $10.

Old 09-12-11, 06:58 PM
F
Cheap is the name of the game. If it's not the capacitor, the a/c is toast so I'd sooner put that $10 to the purchase of a replacement than buy a cap I might not need.

Old 09-12-11, 07:11 PM
Now that is cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-12-11, 07:34 PM
F
Thanks for the positive reinforcement but if I weren't hurting for cash I'd have thrown the unit in the trash and bought a replacement back last spring when I discovered it could only manage a Delta-T of 12F.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: