Klimaire PTAC remote thermostat

Old 10-01-11, 03:31 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Klimaire PTAC remote thermostat

I want to install a remote thermostat for a Klimaire PTAC (not the remote thermostat provided by Klimaire but a standard wall thermostat). The Klimaire unit has a 6 or 7 degree swing between cut off and cut on, which is not acceptable. Klimaire shows a remote thermostat plug and toggle switch but can not provide any information on how to wire it (sad isn't it). Does anyone know how to wire a standard remote thermostat to this unit (1 1/4 ton PTAC with heat pump and electric strip heat)?

Old 10-01-11, 03:50 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
model number?...................

Old 10-02-11, 06:46 AM
R
Klimaire PTAC remote themostat model #

KTHC015-E5H21 is the model number. I connected the wires using the standard color code without connecting the black wire and the unit immediately started cooling even with thermostat switched to off. It would not cut off. When we connected the black wire, we blew the 24v transformer when we switched the thermostat to heat. Klimaire can not provide any wiring diagram or details on how to connect a remote thermostat. They provide a plug to do so but don't know how to wire the thermostat to the plug.

Old 10-02-11, 07:34 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Without a manual or schematic we can not really help..... You would have to measure voltages and attempt to follow circuits on the circuit board to determine what wire would connect to which terminal on a normal stat.

Old 10-14-11, 03:52 PM
R
I'm still trying to get a schematic from Klimaire. In the meantime I checked the voltage on the wires. Connecting black to red, I get 24vac and connecting black to green or black to yellow I get 12vac respectively. I didn't check the white. I assume black is common since it is marked "C" on the plug. I expected 24vac on red but I didn't expect any voltage on green or yellow (all wires were disconnected from the thermostat). I would expect the 24vac to feed back down the green and yellow to the fan and compressor relays when cooling is needed. Am I wrong or should there be 12vac on the green and yellow all the time. Should I have connected the black to the common on the thermostat? When I previously connected the black, I connected it to the B reversing valve which I now believe was wrong. From what I have learned, the B terminal on the thermostat is for Blue and not black. There is no Blue wire for the reversing valve.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: