AC evaporator drain line location...is this right?

Old 10-09-11, 11:44 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face AC evaporator drain line location...is this right?

Hi,

I am getting ready to have a concrete patio installed in my backyard the length of the back of my home. In the process of cleaning up old sprinkler lines I noticed a pvc that was run next to the sprinkler line. The end of it was open, except for the gross little roots that grew into the open end (it was almost like a plug) I thought some bugs might come running out of it...but the brave lady that I am I pulled it out anyway. I like to live on the edge. Luckily there was only a little bit of water that trickled out, no bugs. It was clean and didn't smell at all.

After doing that I tried to follow it and looked like it was connected to a pvc that comes out of the side of my home about 1-2 foot from the ground. At first I thought it might be some sort of overflow drain for the bathroom/garden tub. I finally thought of the ac/furn is in my attic above my master closet next to my master bath. It makes sense that is what it is.

Older homes I have seen with their drain off run right on the roof or ran to a gutter system. My home has a tile roof and stucco walls.
My real concern is what do I do with this pipe since I am having concrete installed. This pvc is under the dirt about 3-4". Its ran about 20' along the back side of my home. I can run it another foot to my plant area. My thing is I don't want it to get clogged...by damage to the pipe or roots/dirt plugging it up.

I was thinking two options if this would work. Keep it in the ground ran to my plant area but then install an elbow ran vertically 6" so roots and dirt wont enter. It would end up having the concrete over it though. Or, Cut it off at the elbow where it exits the wall and direct the water to potted plants when my patio is finished. I live in the desert so we don't have a lot of humidity here so I don't think it would be a lot of water. I have to hurry and decide before they do the patio though. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on what would be the best thing to do? Thank you.

Old 10-09-11, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I'm just 100 miles south of you...so I can relate.

You don't want that line under or on the ground. Mine used to just drip off the edge of the roof and besides being ugly it was a waste of water.
I rerouted it down the wall and rigged it so during the summer I swivel it out and set a covered and screened container under it to collect the condensate. I transfer the water collected into gallon jugs and use it for my interior plants mostly (esp the ones in straight water, since it has less minerals in it).

You could probably route it to a rain barrel...but it would take a long time to fill it and have enough volume and pressure to be able to use a hose.

Although your humidity is a bit less than mine overall, you have to remember it is water being removed from the interior of the home, not the outside. Showers, cooking (esp gas), just human breath can add a lot of humidity to the interior. When it's 105-110 here and the A/C runs a lot, I can easily get 2-3 gallons a day out of my drain. Back in VA where I had a similar setup I would fill two 2 1/2 gallon buckets a day during the summer.

Old 10-09-11, 11:20 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi, thanks for the reply. So I don't want it under ground, you wonder why they did it that way to begin with. Oh well, that helps in making a decision on what to do. I appreciate your time and advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: