Condensation from AC Outlet

Old 10-28-11, 07:36 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Condensation from AC Outlet

The attached photos are from the main bathroom AC outlet and you can see the condensation which drips down the slopped ceiling.

I had my AC installed in 2002 and out of the 10 AC outlets only 2 were installed on slopped ceilings and both start to drip condensation at the beginning of the heating season (I have electric baseboards) and after a few days they stopped dripping. The condensation is not a lot, perhaps 1/4 of a glass of water but enough to stain the ceiling and looks like dirty / brownish condensation. None of the other AC outlets ever drip any condensation.

The other AC outlet was installed above the main entrance sloped ceiling and so I don’t think that the bathroom humidity has anything to do with the condensation. I have now relocated the main entrance outlet to a flat portion of the ceiling because it was very difficult to open/close it due to its location

I went to the attic and the insulation is tacked nicely around these two outlets like all the other ones.

During the winter season I close all AC outlets and since they all fit tight against the ceiling I don’t believe that heated air goes thru them and then condenses after it hits the cold attic. If that was the case, it would have happened in all outlets.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Last edited by hvactechfw; 10-28-11 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-28-11, 03:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Are you also putting a plug in the return air registers?

Old 10-28-11, 03:46 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I only have one return air register in the center of the corridor.

Inside, it has an air filter approx. 22”x 22” which in the winter I remove and I install a piece of Styrofoam instead.

No house warm air can go through

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: