Leaking Plenum

Old 11-16-11, 06:06 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking Plenum

On a new installation of my airhahdler I noticed a air leak and had the installer come back and fix it. Now I have found another air leak that is on the side that can not be sealed on the outside , due to not having enough room or access. The installer wants to (as he calls it) cut a pumpkin size hole in the front of the plenum , fix the leak and put the cutout piece back in and tape it.
I feel that the cutting is not a good idea and want the plenum piece on the front of the plenum to be removed allowing access to see and seal the conplete side that is leaking and either reinstall the piece removed or install a new piece. The piece I want them to remove is about 18 or 20 inches by 6 or 8 inches (Also where the installer wants to cut the pumpkin out). (The leak is where the old part and the new meet - - - where it was not sealed properly from the start.
Am I wrong or do you recommend something different?

Old 11-16-11, 06:18 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
How well did they seal everything else?
I'm not a HVAC pro, but I'm not real fussy about cutting a hole for access. However, I wouldn't want the patch just taped back in place. They can cover it with a larger cover and add some screws, and some tape to seal it. Hope it isn't duct tape they are using.

Bud

Old 11-16-11, 06:18 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Cutting a hole is fine! You said pumpkin is this ductboard and did you mean pumpkin cut?

Old 11-17-11, 06:35 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I mean that they want to cut the insulation board with a pumpkin cut.

Old 11-17-11, 07:40 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yes you have duct board pumpkin cut is how they should do that! Why duct board? Sheet metal would have been my only choose.

Old 11-17-11, 04:23 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
heat or lack of it,like energy never really disappears like peoples brain but dissipates or migrates like peoples bodies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: