replacing new copper line set

Old 11-17-11, 07:05 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
replacing new copper line set

Hi ,
The air handler and condenser in a condo that I own/manage both need to be replaced. I have replaced split systems before but never in a condo bulding. Installing a new and more efficient unit means that it will most likely use R-410A refrigerant. The problem is that the condo is on the second floor and the condenser is right underneath the bedroom window on a concrete pad at the first floor level. Since the copper line set will also have to be replaced, I would like to know if anybdoy in this forum has tackle such job. I would basically like to get an idea of how labor intensive it is to take out the old R22 line set and install the new one especially in this case where I will have to route it all the way to the second floor.
Thank you,

Old 11-17-11, 06:09 PM
C
Depending on size of the old lines and the required size of the new you may not have to replace them. Most likely you have Type L soft copper lines which is the same on new 410 systems. A product called RX-11 flush (or similar) is used to flush and clean the old lines allowing you to utilize the existing lines. Normally the manufacture of the new equipment will prove a chart for the length of the line and the rise of the pipes and give you acceptable sizes for the lines. On condos with HOA's .... most wont let you run new lines on the outside of the structure in my area.... so replacement of the lines (if Necessary) is costly.

Old 11-17-11, 07:18 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
We cut the lines at the wall and run the new ones outside.

Old 11-17-11, 08:17 PM
C
Not all condo associations will let you run them on the outside wall. Trust me i KNOW!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: