Carrier heat pump model 38BYC024341 fan doesn't spin

Old 03-04-12, 05:14 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier heat pump model 38BYC024341 fan doesn't spin

When the heat is turned on, the heat pump fan doesn't spin. I hear the sound of the unit trying to start the fan, but nothing happens. I was able to get the fan spinning by pushing the fan with a small stick. Once the fan started spinning, it seemed to be working.

What is the typical cause of the problem and how easy is it to fix?

Old 03-04-12, 05:54 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
the typical problem from your description is a failed capacitor. It is easy to change if you can find a wholesaler that will sell one to you locally.

Old 03-04-12, 06:41 PM
P
If your fan blades still spin freely or start with help then the capacitor is a good place to start. It can be a good idea to test the capacitor if you can before buying a new one. There are a ton if videos and how tos on it. Then you wont just be a 'parts changer' Keep in mind safety when working around capacitors, they can store a charge and need to be discharged safely.

Another big 'tell' is the fan shaft. There will be vertical play in it but no side-to-side. any rubbing on the interior of the motor will cause it to heat up and can signal a slow decline in a fan motor's life.

Last is wiring to make sure there is nothing stripped, bare etc that may cause a low voltage-high amperage situation to be going on.

good luck

Old 03-04-12, 06:46 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
changing the capacitor is cheaper than buying a meter to test the old one. $10 -20 for a new capacitor. $100 for a quality, trustworthy meter.

Old 03-04-12, 08:44 PM
P
Wow, you get dual run caps way cheaper than we do here in Phoenix for a retail customer! Seeing how this is a DIY site it could be that basheesh could have a meter. Not out of the realm of possiblily.

I am kind of old school like that. I was taught to never just swap parts till you find the offending one.

Old 03-05-12, 12:01 PM
B
Thanks for the advice. I will check the capacitor and see if that is the problem.

Old 03-07-12, 04:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
If the top of the capacitor is swollen it has definitely failed.
If it is not swollen it still may not be okay.

A swollen example...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: