Air Conditioning not cooling & coponet confused-outside-inside-etc.

Old 03-17-12, 11:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioning not cooling & component confused-outside-inside-etc.

I moved into a house about 6 mos. and there are various components involved and trying to activate AC as not blowing cool air. I'm confused with all the different names, model#'s etc. so would really appreciate your help!
When I first moved in I got info here I believe on activating heat--The unit was new--part of it I guess-and just had to turn on switch instead of lighting pilot manually which was very easy. Now I want to turn AC on & wondering if I need to turn off that heat switch?
The other part of it is there has been a new Hunter thermostat installed and not sure if it is set up properly- I set to AC & degrees--it does come on but not blowing cold air AND unit outside does not come on. All breakers are on and I'm wondering about the thermostat settings which are in photo re: Gas/Oil furnace & Conventional System/Heat Pump System?
Any help greattly appreciated--thanks so much!

Outside unit: Carrier WeatherMaker Model per label: 38TZAO30320
Inside furnace/pump or? Model label: CK5BXT036017AAAA Ser# CAC 3DP
Hunter Thermostat: Model# 44127/44132

Last edited by hvactechfw; 03-17-12 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-17-12, 11:55 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
What heat switch are you talking about? The only thing you should have to do is move the slide switch on the bottom left of the thermostat and change it to COOL. That is a complicated thermostat, IMO. I suggest an easier to use and program thermostat.

Old 03-17-12, 02:13 PM
Air Conditioning not cooling & component confused-outside-inside-etc.

Uh..i may be component confused but not that dumb to forget to change to cool!
As far as the on-off switch--that is in the furnace in the new photo with the arrow pointing to it. I just got the model number from inside after I took off the top door to take a photo of that switch & also found another model number to my collection: York: TG8S060A12MP11A

As far as the complicated thermostat settings--the thermostat was changed (not by me) and wondered if those settings in the picture i.e. the buttons were set correctly to go with the system..

Hope that clarifies my problem and hope you can help--thanks!

Last edited by hvactechfw; 03-17-12 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-17-12, 05:31 PM
Yes, the switches in the thermostat look to be in the correct position.
The on/off switch you speak of is on the gas valve and can be left on year round.

Old 03-18-12, 01:49 PM
Air conditioning not cooling & component confused-outside-inside-Troubleshooting

Thanks for your response.
Any suggestions on what to check next. Am wondering if there is any power control inside the Carrier outside unit as looks like there is a removable panel that I can access?
There is a circuit breaker outside the unit which is on, as are the circuit breakers inside the house.
Thanks again for your help..

Old 03-18-12, 04:09 PM
IF you are unfamiliar with and dont know how to use a volt meter then this was the end of your diagnosis and you need to call a pro, if not then please let us know so and we will continue.

Old 03-19-12, 09:59 AM
Thanks so much for that diagnosis! Though I have used a volt meter in an auto on occasion, I realize this is dangerous territory and appreciate your candor. Settings are one thing but not interested in getting to know anything more about the next step which could be my last. I have called a pro--again thanks for the most important advice you could ever give me

Old 03-20-12, 05:06 AM
S
ok, sounds like your 24v/thermo is ok. If you feel comfortable w/it, ck breaker at condensor(outside unit) for power. If breaker/fuse is good, remove panel on condensor. There is a contact switch with 24v in 220v out. (need multimeter) If 24v is not reaching contact, then 220v circuit will not close. Test 24v (sm.20-22g wires on contactor). If 24v is present, press manual contact(black button in middle of contactor), and if compressor and cond. fan fire up, replace contact switch, very easy, just cut all power first. If no 24v is present at contactor, check backwards for short in the 24v wires back to furnace curcuit board (24v transformer). That's just elect. troubleshoot. Is it heat pump? There may be a reversing valve to change each spring and winter. Post more on this thread if necessary. I love working on A/C's, just hate seeing people get robbed when they can't do it themselves. Good luck, Sean.

Old 03-21-12, 04:01 PM
Thanks seangun, but as hvactechfw suggested it was time to call in a pro (somehow he must have detected that I ddn't know a volt from an amp or whatever!)
But since it wasn't my house it was a lot easier to make the call-though was just trying to due some basic diagnosis and possibly fix if it were maybe an incorrect setting--like seasonal switch or thermostatic setting or something like that. But the AC guy came out last night and got it working at least for now as recharched the system and thought there might be a leak but not exactly sure of the exact diagnosis, but it's nice and cool here, and those blades are rotating outside in the AC unit--so it's all good! thanks for your input..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: