Cooling ideas for older, boiler heated home

Old 03-22-12, 10:54 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Cooling ideas for older, boiler heated home

Now that I have survived half a winter in our newly aquired house (had some fun dealing with our oil boiler), summer is almost here, and I'm looking at cooling options.
The house as mentioned, is hot water heated, so no duct work. It's ~2900sqft, three stories.
The previous owner had a handful of window and portable air conditioners throughout the house, which is not the direction I want to go (way too noisy and power hungry).
My priorities is the second floor (where our bedrooms are located). We don't use the rooms on the third floor (except for storage), so there is no real concern there. Main floor would be nice, but again, not a big convern.

The layout of the second floor is pretty simple. Main (5' wide) hallway down the middle, with bedrooms, one bathroom, and the stairs, lining both sides of it. The hallway is ~30ft long.
What I was thinking was a wall mount (Mr. Slim style) AC unit at the end of the hall (below a window) blowing down the hall. Ceiling fans in the bedrooms should help move some air around (I hope). The stairs downstairs is near the other end of the hallway and has a landing in the middle of it. I was thinking another wall mount unit in the stair way which would cover that end of the upstairs, and maybe lend some cool air to the main floor.

Without having duct work, and really no way to add any (house is not designed in a way to add duct work easily), would anyone have any other suggestions beyond running wall mount AC units?

Old 03-22-12, 11:20 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,277 Upvotes on 1,216 Posts
Not my area of expertise but many of our 1500 sq ft split level town homes are cooled with a single wall unit on the second floor and it seems to work pretty well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: