Air Handler Won't Stop Running, Help Please!!!

Old 03-23-12, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Handler Won't Stop Running, Help Please!!!

Hello,
I replaced two "frozen" 60amp built-in air handler breakers on our attic unit and upon turning it back on, the air handler blower won't stop running? The outside condenser cycles on and off as normal, so we have air, but the blower won't stop running?

1) I tried various settings at the thermostat, including turning it to the "off" position, but still the air handler wouldn't stop running. I then removed all the wires from the thermostat but the air handler continued to run.

2) I turned the main outdoor breaker for the air conditioner to "off" and then back "on", in hopes of possibly resetting something, but accomplished nothing.

Apparently a contact or switch of some sort is stuck on the air handler? I read a thread stating a "Fan/Control Relay" can do this? Does that seem most likely? Thanks...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may not need these details but just FYI. It's a split system RUUD ac with heat strip, UBHA-21J-14SFBAI.

I was sure I replaced all wires as they were originally installed. The air handler breakers had two #12 wires each (oranges/blacks) in each lug, with exception the top breaker had an additional (orange and black) #14 wire installed in the lugs. So the top breaker had three wires (two #12 and one #14) in each lug.

Upon replacement, I twisted these wires together and inserted them as one into each respective lug. They flattened nicely and have made solid contact.

The orange #14 is spliced with one leg going up to the transformer and the other leg going down to the capacitor. The black #14 is spliced with one leg going up to the transformer and the other leg going down to what I beleive is the Fan Relay?

I note this because I am not absolutely positive the orange wire was attached to the breaker, though 98% sure. There was so much corrossion the breakers broke apart upon trying to remove them. The three black wires were all tie wired together but I found the orange #14 wire dangling by itself but beside the other two orange wires, which were tie wire together. This is how it appears in my original pics as well.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Last edited by hvactechfw; 03-24-12 at 07:36 AM. Reason: removed link
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-12, 11:13 AM
I replaced the "power relay", otherwise fan/control relay (5 terminal), today but the air handler continues to run? The outdoor condenser unit cycles and cools the house as normall, but I cannot get the attic air handler blower to stop running?

I again disconnected the green wire from the the thermostat and turned it to "off" but didn't stop the blower. Tell me if I possibly wired the orange and black #14 wires wrong? Those appeared to be installed in the units breaker lugs along with the #12 orange/black wires.

I could use some input please.

Thanks, Ralph

Last edited by hvactechfw; 03-24-12 at 07:37 AM. Reason: removed link
Old 03-24-12, 07:30 PM
Anyone have any suggestions as to the issue at hand? Thanks

Old 03-25-12, 06:01 AM
Replace the sequencer that feeds the relay you replaced. The proper way to diagnose your problem is with a volt meter.

Old 03-25-12, 06:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts