PLease help me (Blowing Furnace Fuses)

Old 03-28-12, 09:24 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post PLease help me (Blowing Furnace Fuses)

Dear all friend
i have carrier model 58sta070-12 it flame the fuse when i change i don't know how many amp i change 25 amp fuse it not working after that i change back to 5 amp fuse but still off can you tell how to fix it .Right now the fan ,blow everything stop and i smell little burn
Please help me

Old 03-28-12, 10:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
It probably needed a 3 amp fuse. You probably now need a new transformer as well.

You must also locate and repair the short that started this problem in the first place.

If this problem occurred in the cooling mode it is probably one of the 3 problems...

Old 03-30-12, 09:12 AM
E
The fuse is being blown the second you turn on power. An interesting note, I thought that all Carrier furnaces kicked on the fan once the fuse was blown. Maybe I'm wrong. Do you have a volt meter? If you do could you check continuity between G on the circuit board and ground(frame) with the low voltage wires disconnected. If you do it means your circuit board is bad, if thats not it then do what houston(the other post) says. Another note, you could put in any fuse, 3,5, or 25, all will work.

Old 03-31-12, 12:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc.../58st-17si.pdf

I don't see anything about the fuse popping the second that power is restored in this post.

The manual calls for a 3 amp fuse (page 24).
A 25 amp fuse will not protect the transformer.

Old 03-31-12, 09:34 AM
E
no they didnt say fuse was being blown instantly, I'm assuming it is because she said it still doesnt work when she replaced the fuse. Surely something would happen if the fuse were intact. Maybe a 25 is not recommended, but I have seen them blow before the transformer. But then again I have also seen the transformer blow while the 5 amp fuse is intact.

Old 03-31-12, 09:22 PM
A
but right now no power in control broad can you show me how reset broad and blower fan
thanks alot

Old 04-01-12, 01:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you had a short and put in a 25 amp fuse it would damage the transformer causing the burned smell you spoke of. Bypassing safeties will usually have adverse affects. That 25 amp fuse may as well been a piece of tinfoil since it would not protect the transformer.

You now probably require a transformer, 3 amp fuse and a low voltage short repair.

You reset the furnace by switching power off then on again but it is unlikely that this will help.

What does the the furnace LED indicate?

Old 04-01-12, 06:53 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
It may not indicate anything if the transformer is blown. IMO, it is time for you to call a pro.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: