Very Humid?

Old 04-03-12, 11:18 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Very Humid?

I own a restaurant and the interior of my building is way too humid. Some examples, bread molds within hours, waffle cones turn to rubber in a matter of hours after being made, and all of our glass front display cases are covered in condensation. I have never had this problem before. Its been going on for the past month. April last year, I had 4 new Bryant A/C units installed. I called them back this year to check them out because of the humidity. He said two of the units were only about 2lb low. He said that might help. Well it didn't.

What could be causing this and what could I do to fix it? My first floor is about 8,000 sq ft. So a home dehumidifier wouldn't even make a dent. Could I rent an industrial dehumidifer and just let it run for a week or so just to dry everything out and maybe it won't happen again?

Any help is appreciated!
Zach

Old 04-03-12, 11:53 AM
E
You had four new units installed? Well i got some bad news, they over sized them. The units you have are too big for the space you are trying to cool. The units don't run long enough to remove moisture. You might wanna use one system for the time being and put the thermostat low so the unit will run a long time. This is a serious issue and will most likely end, sorry to say, with a lawsuit. What size units did you have anyways? And what size did they put in?

Old 04-03-12, 12:21 PM
I'm sorry, My mistake. There are 4 air handlers twinned to two 7.5 ton units on the roof. When I purchased the building in 2011, there were 4 non-functioning a/c units. 1-7.5 Ton unit, 3-5 Ton units. Not sure on the age, but based on how they looked, really freakin old. The original air handlers were installed in the 1970s, that's when the building was last remodeled, then I assume retrofitted for A/C sometime.

So, I should just crank one down really low tonight before I leave? Let it run all night.

Old 04-03-12, 12:41 PM
E
!970's wow, so the a/c units they had were probably 8 seer, now you have moved up to at least a 13 seer... Sounds over sized. Yeah, choose the most important area to remove humidity, and set it low enough to come on and run for at least half the night. And let us know if its better tomorrow. In the mean time you should call the company who put them in. There could also be the off chance that its unrelated to the a/c and could have a leaky pipe in or under the building.

Old 04-03-12, 05:05 PM
Is the area an open area? I'd shut off one of the unit, and let the other do the work. If the system still short cycles, then it's way oversized.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: