Inside blower will not shut off

Old 04-05-12, 01:36 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Inside blower will not shut off

Hello,
I have a American standard(trane) ac unit with heat pump.
Model # TWE048C140F3.
Serail #H47837173.
Seer = 11.0.
Heat pump = HSPF 7.82.
Compressssor unit model # 6H1048A100A0.
The unit was installed in 1994.

The inside blower will not shut off even when it reaches the set temp.The only way i was able to shut off the blower was to turn off the unit by shutting the breaker. After talking with a AC tech at a local gas station he suggested I replace the thermostat. I did replace it and had no luck. It does shut off only when I turn the thermostat to the off position otherwise it will continue to run after it has reached the set temp. After doing some research online I changed the the capacitor that sits next to the fan. I also checked the olms of the inside contactor and both sides read 35 when the power is off. I did read somewhere about a jumper wire but really not sure about that.
Im not sure what to check next. Anyone have any ideas. I really cant afford to call for a service tech at this time.
Thank you, Roger

Old 04-05-12, 02:26 PM
R
Update, After installing the new thermostat I was able to shut the blower off by turning the unit to the off position. Now it wont shut off unless I turn off the breaker to the unit.

Old 04-05-12, 06:01 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
you may have a sticking relay in the air handler which is likely on the control board.

Old 04-05-12, 06:33 PM
R
Is the control board on the inside of the house next to the fan?

Old 04-05-12, 06:34 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
the air handler is the indoor unit that contains the blower, yes...

Old 04-16-12, 04:04 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I think this unit has no contactor but rather a plug in style GP relay with a 24V coil and a small board on it about 2"X3", I could be mistaken. I'd just replace them both, I think they likely come as a kit anyway. As far as the change in thermostat functions... it almost sounds like it is miswired, I'd recheck that for sure...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: