Replacing the TDR

Old 04-11-12, 03:02 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing the TDR

I have a Goodman A49-15. The blower was not running (even turning the tstat to on). It has been acting up, but I thought that it was the tstat as it didn't appear to be very high quality. When I replaced, all seemed to be working again. It recently started acting up where even when I would set it to on, the fan would not run. I've made several service calls over the past year (3 to the tune of 450) and they all said nothing was wrong. However each time they turned the unit on, it came on fine. I finally broke out my DIY skills and did some testing. My capacitor was testing bad, I then got a new one and replaced it. After doing so, it still wouldn't start. So I called another service tech and he came out (another $150) and chastised me for replacing the capacitor myself and that I'm not a qualified service technition. I watched what he did because I wanted to learn. He bypassed the Time Delay Relay (i got from reading the schematics) and the fan started up just fine. He said that I didn't need to replace my capacitor and that the TDR just needed to be reset (note that he didn't do any diagnostic tests on the TDR or the old capacitor). Well here I am a week later and it has started acting up again. The fan will not come on. I can go and bypass the TDR (take an insulated wire and bypass the TDR, the fan kicks on just fine). So I believe it is my TDR that is bad.

Now to my problem I need help with. I ordered a new one and got it in the mail. When I pulled it out of the box, it is completly different in design and look from the one installed. I can a picture of the one installed on the internet (it appears that the current installed one is a generic one) and not the part that came with it originally. Is there a place I can get a schematic of the replacement TDR I have in hand to make sure that it lines up correctly? Or is there a place where I can find installation instructions for the new TDR. The new TDR doesn't have an indicator as far as which prong is for which (other than numbering on 4 of the 6 available prongs).

I can post pictures of everything if need be.

Here is the "replacement" TDR Time Delay Relay

Picture of replacement:

Here is what the installed one looks like

Last edited by wido711; 04-11-12 at 03:10 PM. Reason: update picture
Old 04-11-12, 03:15 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Need a schematic to properly help you. The current relay in the air handler is not a time delay, but instead a regular relay. Pictures of how it is currently wired along with a schematic will help.

Old 04-11-12, 03:48 PM
W
I don't have a picture of the schematic at this moment, I will get it. But I do have a pictures of the installed relay. Here is my photo album of the pictures.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1021550...75674679817618

Old 04-11-12, 03:56 PM
W
Also, according the schematic that is on the outside of the unit it is wired to what is marked as the Time Delay Relay, it if isn't that, do you know what part I order?

Old 04-11-12, 04:37 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
you ordered the correct part, the one that is installed currently is not the correct part, but a part that simply turns the fan on and off with out any delays or timings.

Old 04-11-12, 08:11 PM
W
Good to know. Here are the pictures/info you're looking for.

For the schematic see this album: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...44394826712385

I have more of the schematic if you need it. I just focused on the relay and the key and notes. I'm unable to read the schematic and translate it into actionable information as far as connecting the TDR, please advise.

Here is the album of the existing wiring. I have other pictures that include everything I could get a shot of, but I only included what I thought was relevant.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...75657440837777

Let me know if you have any questions, something isn't clear, or you can't access the photos.

Old 04-11-12, 08:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
2 blue wires to one side of the tdr base.
Green to the other side of the tdr base.
EM (motor) Black to terminal 1.
Brown to terminal 2.
The other black to terminal 3. (other end not shown in your diagram pics very well)

Old 04-11-12, 09:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
This is your diagram with the motor black highlighted pink and the other black highlighed with a small orange line.

Old 04-11-12, 09:30 PM
W
Thanks as you were posting this, I was looking at the schematic and realized exactly how to hook it up. What had me confused was the installed switch was numbered completely different. Turns out they had to rig it to even get all of the wires connected after I pulled it off. I've updated photos for any future DIY person to see if they so desire.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...75657440837777

Thanks much Houston204!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: