warm suction line (R-22 3 ton Bryant 10 years)

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-12, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
warm suction line (R-22 3 ton Bryant 10 years)

I need help to understand if my unit requires some repair.

A/C line was nailed during roof repair last year and was repaired by two different person (one roofer DIY then real pro). After freon was charged, the suction was not very cold but it was cooling the house.

This year, the sunction line is pretty warm. I had the guy come back and check the pressure. Outside temp 80, Suction pressure 69, Suction pipe temp 78 after running the unit about 15 minutes. I did some reading and this makes superheat 39 degress which I heard it's too high.

I can borrow manifold gauag from a friend of mine and check myself again ( I presume). Can someone tell me what kind of number I should be seeing?

Does it look like I need freon or something?
It's Dallas, TX

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-12, 08:31 AM
Looks like it is still low on freon. Or has too much. since it is not technically legal to talk about suction pressure, there isnt much we can do to help except advise you to call an a/c tech. You would be surprised how often roofers destroy the a/c.

Old 04-14-12, 09:06 PM
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
"This year, the sunction line is pretty warm. I had the guy come back and check the pressure. Outside temp 80, Suction pressure 69, Suction pipe temp 78 after running the unit about 15 minutes. I did some reading and this makes superheat 39 degress which I heard it's too high.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...#ixzz1s4dprRFE
"

*Possibility: Return air duct is pulling in very warm air from the attic + system undercharged. High return air temp = higher suction line pressure + elevated superheat.

If the tech didn't check the high side or go into the attic, it's time to find another one. Don't DIY.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 04-15-12 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Removed pressure info...copy in archives.
Old 04-14-12, 09:11 PM
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
" Looks like it is still low on freon. Or has too much. since it is not technically legal to talk about suction pressure, there isnt much we can do to help except advise you to call an a/c tech. You would be surprised how often roofers destroy the a/c.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/air-conditioning-cooling-systems/469382-warm-suction-line-r-22-3-ton-bryant-10-years.html#ixzz1s4iDB8Gy"

It's perfectly legal to talk about suction pressure, but a license is required to handle refrigerants.

MOD Edit: No, it's not...at least not in these Forums. Please see sticky at top of this Topic or my Post above.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 04-15-12 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-15-12, 10:20 AM
Oh we can talk about suction pressure? what about head pressure?

Old 04-15-12, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
No....no discussion of pressures, charging, etc....

Please see this from the sticky at the top of this forum...
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...ng-your-c.html

I'll be editing and locking this thread.

Closed Thread