What manufacture of AC does anyone recommend?

Old 04-17-12, 05:10 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What manufacture of AC does anyone recommend?

Hi,
Installed a Carrier 4 ton unit with horizontal gas furnace in 1980. It still works but kind of seen it's day. I'm going to replace it soon, so my question is------What manufacture is the better one today and what energy rating should I go with? I live in Van Nuys, CA. Only use heat in early morning & rarely during the day. Use AC in summer months July / Sept. Should I spring for a good filter system? One installer said Ruud was the best unit on the market, but he's a Ruud dealer/installer so he might be a bit biased. Let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks
Denny
threecablers

Old 04-17-12, 06:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Quality installation is what makes the difference, not the brand. Efficiency should be considered based upon how long you plan to live in that home. If more than 10 years you would want a high seer rating. If 5the years than a middle of the road seer rating. If less than 5 years a 13 seer would be sufficient.

Old 04-17-12, 07:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
If your climate is anything like mine in Houston I'd look at at least a 15 or 16 SEER condenser and coil with an 80% furnace. In this climate, I only recommend 90% and over for basement installations.

I prefer Carrier and Trane over Ruud and Rheem but as hvactechfw has already posted the installation would be more important than the brand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: