A/C Compressor Surging When Trying To Start

Old 04-20-12, 06:00 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C Compressor Surging When Trying To Start

I hear it outside surging when it is trying to cycle back on, it doesn't always do it but it is doing it regularly and mostly at night when we have it turned down the coolest. It will come on, and it will cool but not as well as it used to and this AM my wife said it was doing it (we can hear it well in our master bedroom and bath as the units outside are right outside) she saw the lights flicker in our master bath.

Does this mean the compressor is about to die? I have had an AC tech at my home the past two days and he said the contactor was bad as it looked black and burned out so he replaced that but it is still happening.

Any help is appreciated, I don't want to keep replacing parts running up my bill when in the end I need to replace the whole unit anyway. The units are 13 years old, 3 ton Rheem units, and I live in Houston, TX where they do get a lot of work.

Old 04-20-12, 07:10 AM
E
Its really struggling to start. You need to replace your dual capacitor on the unit and install a hard start if you want the unit to live.

Old 04-20-12, 10:39 AM
J
Thanks

Yeah my AC technician told me the same thing, he suggests a new unit though based on the age of mine and the fact that it is the compressor. Living in Houston and Summer coming I don't want to mes around.

Old 04-20-12, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Of course he suggests a new unit....much more profit. Why install a $50 part which could make the unit last 10 more years when you can sell a $5000 job.

The unit on my roof (packaged unit) is 20+ yrs old and works fine. My last house the system was 16 yrs old when I left and still worked fine. Sure...they may not be as efficient as a new system...but that $4000-$5000 replacement cost sure does pay a lot of electric bills.

I could replace my wifes 11 y/o SUV (that still is in darn good shape with 140k miles) with one that is 20% better on gas...but then I have higher insurance and a car payment for 4 yrs.

Pay for the hard start install (from a different company) and put $2 a day in a savings account. In 5-7 years you'll have the money to buy a new unit if you need it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: