safety switch pipe has a little water. problem?

Old 04-21-12, 09:20 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
safety switch pipe has a little water. problem?

my central ac's safety switch is located right next to the drain line, and I've noticed a small amount of water in the switch's cup. the drain pipe drains well, but is that small amount of water an issue?

Old 04-22-12, 04:39 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
It's hard to say as every drain system is different. Can you post some pictures of your setup?

Old 04-22-12, 09:41 AM
N
yes, thank you. here is a picture from above. I removed the cap of the switch so it could be exposed. Like I said, it is a small amount of water that I can feel somewhat when I stick my pinky in; I would say maybe 1/8 of an inch or so.

Oh wait, I cannot attach pictures yet. Damn. I will try to describe. The central unit sits on top of a wooden intake box. At the bottom of the central unit are 2 white pvc pipes sticking out: one that houses the switch, and the other goes right into the drain line. The 2 pipes are within 1/2 inch of each other.

Old 04-22-12, 11:27 AM
Post pictures to a free sharing site such as photobucket. Then post the link to the pictures or gallery here in your thread.

Old 05-01-12, 11:42 AM
N
ok
here is the picture.
Name:  ac drain.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  9.9 KB

or

acdrain.jpg picture by nabril15 - Photobucket

I am sure you want to see the inside, but I didnt feel like taking off the panel.

Old 05-01-12, 12:26 PM
it should not be an issue if you are sure that the drainis free and clear.

Old 05-01-12, 06:36 PM
N
that switch has a float valve that shuts the ac off. How far up does it have to float to shut off? At times I see my ac shut off after just having come on, and I want to think it's that switch. I have a variable speed blower, and at times I hear the second speed come on, and it shuts off within a few minutes.

I dont think it's the switch shutting things off, but it might be. If that 1/8 of an inch I feel with my pinky is enough to shut it off, then I have issues.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: