R22 split system, many issues - which items to address first?

Old 04-30-12, 02:54 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
R22 split system, many issues - which items to address first?

Details: R22 split system. 2800 sq ft 2 story home. Have 10 year old Lennox 3 ton and 3.5 ton condensers. Have the following problems:

If 90 outside (most of summer), upstairs does not cool below 80 (system turns on, runs the entire day).

-Both condenser coils are corroded (hard water sprinkler system and dogs)

-Duct work in attic is not sealed

-Can lighting in attic is not sealed

-No attic fan present

-Rolled R30 insulation, but some gaps

If I cannot replace entire 10 year old system (attic components and condensers), which items on the list above would you address & if addressed how likely is it I would see good results without replacing entire system?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-06-12, 04:04 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
attic air make sure all supply and return ducts are sealed and the connection to the actual air handler are sealed....filter is clean eva coil is clean,squirrel cage fins are clean of dirt dust....cycle water in the condensate pan clear trap....outside shut the condenser power off.. get a light acid condenser coil cleaner and 50/50 water mix spray(old spraywindex bottle) from the top and let it work down the coils ..spray on with the coil dry.then hose it out from the inside out with a nozzle don't blast the fins easy does it. especially 5" from the bottom up is important.the main items i mentioned are the coils and the air delivered within the house.do you have filters in the unit or in the hallways is the attic unit just laying flat on the beams and supper hot in the summer(adding an attic fan) will vent the temps down to breathable air and take the load off that 2nd floor ceiling that is probably eating up that 3 tons.if any attic air is being sucked into the air handlers return there it is adding to the load...same on that supply side leaking into the attic...ceiling registers or floor registers???

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: