A/C noob but I want to fix it myself - blower problems

Old 05-02-12, 06:26 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow A/C noob but I want to fix it myself - blower problems

I have a Goodman AR48-1 unit in the attic. Seems like I remember having trouble with the heat in the winter and had to manually switch the system to "off" on the thermostat to get the blower stopped. Now that the A/C is running, its the same deal, if the unit has been off for a while, it kicks on and works normal. After it runs for a while, the main blower kicks off and the "air handler" (i hope thats whats it called) keeps running until I either flip the breaker or switch the system to off on the stat.

I did hire someone to come out yesterday and he cleaned both my units outside for $65 each. He told me that was not the problem and the part I needed was around $200-300, I said no thanks and came here. Money is tight at the moment and if anyone here has experience with an issue like this, please let me know. I am replacing my filters now as the air flow was terribad. When I took the cover off to take these pictures, the pressure was intense. I have never worked on units but there doesn't seem to be much to them.

Name:  Goodman AR48-1 unit.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  10.4 KBName:  Goodman AR48-1.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  12.2 KB

links to bigger pics if that helps
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...dmanAR48-1.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e.../GoodmanAR48-1 unit.jpg

Old 05-02-12, 06:30 AM
S
Old 05-02-12, 01:55 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
What part did he say needs replaced?

Old 05-02-12, 07:04 PM
S
The control board that had a relay built in. He says he "thinks" the relay is stuck or burnt and keeps the backup fan on 24/7. I just ordered the new board and will install it tomorrow. I'll keep you posted....

On a side note, I just finished replacing all the filters and putting the cover back on the unit. It does not seem to be blowing cool air, barely cool maybe but not cool enough to get the temp down. The outside unit has the pipes completely white and frosted over. Is that normal?

Old 05-02-12, 07:58 PM
Iced up lines means lack of air flow, restriction, or low refrigerant.

Old 05-03-12, 08:34 PM
E
Good luck with the board replacement, also iced up is not rare after cleaning a condenser. Also that thing to the left of the blower motor, evap coil, should be clean so air can pass through it easily. But it might not be dirty, im just guessing.

Old 05-05-12, 06:49 AM
S
Cool

Thanks for all the tips/advice. The new board fixed nothing. I've done so much research and troubleshooting on this now that I believe the issue is a coolant leak. The coil in the attic unit is completely icing over after a few hours of running the system. The fan can barely move air through then and just continuously runs.

My next step is going to be to put a can of sealant into the lines and refill any coolant I lost. If anyone with more experience thinks thats a bad idea or has other options, please let me know.

Thanks!

Old 05-05-12, 08:39 AM
DO NOT DO THAT! Call a pro.... Home A/c uses different refrigerant than cars. You MUST be EPA certified to do anything on the refrigerant side of the system! If I know anyone has installed any kind of sealant in a refrigerant system I will NOT hook my gauges up, I refuse!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: