Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

Without using a gauge, how do you find out if AC is overcharge or undercharge ?

Old 05-04-12, 05:36 PM
C
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Regular home owners don't have A/C gauges, so they alway ask me how to figure out if their system is over charge or undercharge without using the gauge.
I am not sure how to asnwer this question. I told them try to feel the temp of the pipes, get delta T, etc. but that does not answer their questions. Any one has better ideas? Thanks.

Old 05-04-12, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What you are telling them is about the best you can do. Icing of coils, airflow, feeling the pipes, etc...thats about it....

Refer them to this....http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...ng-your-c.html

It's in a sticky at the top of this Topic.

Old 05-04-12, 05:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
What are they gonna do even if they are undercharged???? They can't buy R134a without a license. Without the proper set of gauges and technical know how, I doubt I would relegate that to a homeowner.

Old 05-04-12, 06:00 PM
C
One customer told me every year the A/C tech came to do maintenance, always told him his system is a little low on freon, and put a pound or so into the system and charge him $200-$300. But he think his A/C running just fine (may be a little low, but he can not tell), that is why he wants to know if his system is really low on freon.

Old 05-04-12, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Every year that A/C tech (NOT!) is getting a little extra bonus for ripping off his customers.

He needs to find another company.

Old 05-05-12, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
There isn't much that we don't help with...... unfortunately this topic is one we don't support!

We do get many who legitimately want to be a more knowledgeable consumer but unfortunately there are many who want to unlawfully "juice up" their a/c or other refrigeration device.
Many will attempt to cleverly phrase their question to get answers on how to recharge or will use the "trade rip-off" story to do the same!

The sticky explains the limitations about what we can help with and what guides those giving advice.

IOW, if our answers seem vague it's because they are meant to.

Old 05-06-12, 10:29 PM
Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts
"chandler

What are they gonna do even if they are undercharged???? They can't buy R134a without a license. Without the proper set of gauges and technical know how, I doubt I would relegate that to a homeowner.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ne...#ixzz1u9f0Qvev
"

...and R134a wouldn't be of much use in a north american central unit to begin with.

Old 05-07-12, 07:10 AM
C
I still think we shoud help those home owners to fend off the bad AC (NOT)techs. Of course i agree some people try to find out how to charge their system by using these type of excuses, but most of them just want to know for sure so that they don't get ripped off. Plus, charging AC is not a secret, you can get detail procedures from many places (internet, book, You Tube, etc.).

Old 05-07-12, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Right, we should help homeowners but only with the range of solutions our limitations provide.
IOW, if any advice we dispense would help someone charge or work on a sealed system we don't go there.

Old 05-07-12, 07:49 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
What are they gonna do even if they are undercharged???? They can't buy R134a without a license.
Actually you CAN buy R-134a without a license in all but a few states. R-134a is readily available at most auto parts stores and even Wal*Mart. The problem is that R-134a is ONLY used in automobile A/C systems. Residential A/C systems use R-410a and THAT is only available to someone that holds an EPA-issued certificate.

Old 05-07-12, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
R-134A is commonly used in domestic refrigeration.

Old 05-08-12, 12:30 AM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Thank you for the correction, Greg. I've been away from the industry far too many years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: