A/C discharge outside

Old 05-07-12, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C discharge outside

Hey guys,
Here is the problem, I have a heat pump system with the air handler in the attic. There is a large drain pan under the unit and it has two drains coming out of the handler, one goes to a piece of pvc that drains into my bathroom sink drain pipe and the second joins with the drip pan drain pipe and leads outside where it can drain also. Well, I have noticed in the past couple of days that each time the air conditioner completes a cycle that the water drains out of the overflow and splatters everywhere outside on the patio. It has not done this before and I was wondering what the problem could be. The unit is about 7 years old and I would prefer to not have to call an a/c guy and get charged 80 bucks just to look at the unit. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-12, 03:44 PM
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Primary drain line or trap is blocked.

If you have a wet/dry shopvac, vacuum the primary drain line out.

The emergency ("second") drain is the only thing which is preventing your ceiling from getting damaged.

Old 05-13-12, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the emergency pan is picking up an overflow blockage from the main pan as it should.that you see it on the patio is as installed to alert you...shut the unit off and go up into the air handler access the condensate pan clean it out....take a 24"piece of garden hose or plastic clear hose slide it into the drain opening in the pan and blow into the hose...if there is no vent outside the air handle sticking up that should burp the clog...if your vented at the trap going down to the bathroom sink drain tape the top of it for this....blow out pour water into the pan to cycle the clog down into the house....should drain the pan right out..midsummer visual check will pay off during those real humid days you never should have water even sitting in that emergency pan....