Is there any value in getting an annual checkup if system is running fine?

Old 05-08-12, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there any value in getting an annual checkup if system is running fine?

aside from changing filter, not much else i guess should be done to a closed split system for a home

i have heard everytime freon is checked, a little leaks out and every time system is fiddled with it could be doing damage

just leave system alone.

curious to know how others feel about this?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-12, 06:06 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
There is value when you find a good tech/Contractor. Checking them system is good because it can alert you to unseen problems. Servicing the system annually keeps your coils clean and refrigerant levels checked. You can do anything a tech can to clean the system and check it except for checking the refrigerant charge.

I don't know how many systems I have checked that the homeowner thought was running great (but it wasn't) only to find a refrigerant problem (low charge, failed metering device, over charged; just to name a few). These are problems that if they had not been caught would have potentially done more problems to the system, not to mention these problems also greatly reduce efficiency.

Just my 2 cents.... Others will probably weigh-in.

Old 05-08-12, 06:11 PM
Nope. Just change the filter and you will be just fine. People are not used to the new equipment. Used to be you would check the belts, oil the motors, and stuff. A little freon is released into the air when putting gauges to the system but it's so minute you can't even measure it. Although, I have had a schrader valve leak and even burst on me, subsequently, releasing the entire system's freon into the air. Also on a few circumstances I was unable to reach the hose to take it off the system because some hoses(used to be) where they would spew freon onto your hands while undoing them. This made my hand burn because it was so cold

Old 05-08-12, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Not an expert...(and they will correct me if I'm wrong)...but a good tech should be able to measure temps, air flow and operation...without ever putting gauges on. I've seen more than a few issues (auto and home) where gauges caused a leak that wasn't there before. Whether they were intentional by shady companies or not...I dunno.

Old 05-08-12, 09:38 PM
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
It's a good idea to get it done once to make sure that the installers charged it right. The refrigerant pressures and temps should be logged on the invoice.

After that, all you need to do is change the filter and keep the outdoor unit clean.

If it starts leaking, you'll know about it when it can no longer cool the house or the indoor coil freezes up.

Old 05-09-12, 05:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
What about the cleaning of the coils? Skipped having mine checked the last couple of years [unit installed 11/05] after having the annual checkup the first few years. As others opined, I wasn't sure it was worth the money and I already replace the filter religiously.

Old 05-09-12, 10:03 AM
cleaning coils outside is good to do if you 'do it yourself' but may not be cost justified if you hire someone to do it

Old 05-11-12, 04:06 PM
Lets see.
I replaced a complete system this year because of a weak capacitor to a compressor burnt the compressor. System 11 years old.

Replaced another system because of a bad compressor because it had a freon leak. System 13 years old.

Replaced a compressor in a 6 year old system because of a freon leak that burned it.

Replaced a compressor because of low voltage being supplied by a bad breaker.

Replaced an indoor coil because bleach was used to keep the drain clear.

Replaced a furnace and system- the customer had no idea there was a problem until it was inspected to find a hole in the exchanger.

And a few more.....

Yes- have it checked over. If there is just one simple thing wrong- it will cause more damage to expensive parts.

Or take a chance and allow the HVAC companies make more money later.

Old 05-11-12, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Replaced an indoor coil because bleach was used to keep the drain clear.
I'd like to know how use of bleach would damage a coil? I guess if they poured it over the coil w/o rinsing....but even then it would have to be done multiple times? And who would deal with the stink of bleach in the house?

Old 05-12-12, 07:06 AM
I was wondering the same thing about the bleach. Normally I would agree with you guys but on a system that's only a few years old you really don't need to check it every year unless you want the tech to just start replacing parts

Old 05-12-12, 07:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Some of the companies, specifically Trane are reluctant to honor their warranties unless a periodic inspection/cleaning of the system is done by professionals. It may be a money maker for the pros, but you can't circumvent it. Had mine done at season change...coil cleaning, electronic filter cleaning, outside coil cleaning all for about $130...chump change when you consider problems that could disable the system. We have pets, so keeping it all clean is imperative for good operation.
One thing the tech did find that I probably wouldn't have found until it was too late, the evacuation tubing from the condensate pump was broken. Had the AC been in operation, the basement would have a wet floor now.
Still scratching my head on the bleach thingy, and why it would have affected the coil. It isn't even near the coil. This needs explanation, I am sure.