right way to clean condenser coil

Old 05-08-12, 06:59 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
right way to clean condenser coil

I just cleaned one of my AC condenser. All I did was to use the foam cleaner to sprary from outside and then use water hose to rinse (90 degree /gentle horizental rinsing).

some people say that you should never clean from outside because it will push the dirty in deeper.

what is the right way to clean outside AC unit? does anyone have any manufacturer reference? When I pull out my manuals, they don't tell you how to clean the condenser coil.

Old 05-08-12, 08:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
You should wash the coil from the inside out.

Old 05-08-12, 09:32 PM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
If you can not do it inside out, do it top down.

Old 05-13-12, 05:53 AM
S
working on commercial condensers i use this Virginia AB-1 product Grainger item 5W197 either with a pump sprayer/windex bottle sprayer or just pouring it down the coils RUBBER GLOVES A MUST.with the coil dry shut the disconnect OFF removing the top of the unit no need to disconnect condenser wires just tip it off to the side.take this gallon split it into another empty gallon container and add water to both now being 50% strength.now just pout it down the condenser fins going arond the exposed top...and watch it foam that dirt right out as it works its way down let it sit for 20minutes or so till the entire coil area is foamed.then hose it inside out topworking your way down.once a year with this trick and you'll be cool on those dog days...light water only hosing inside out in july/aug won't hurt....Cleaner, Coil, 1 G - A/C & Ref Cleaners and Scale Removers - A/C Refrigeration - 5W197 : Grainger Industrial Supply

Old 05-13-12, 08:44 AM
E
Didnt know you could clean commercial units. I mean being on top of a building I have never had a hose reach from down below and there is never water near the unit.

Old 05-13-12, 01:49 PM
R
Thanks for all the good ideas. Do you need to take off the grilles when cleaning other than taking off the top?

Old 05-14-12, 03:45 AM
S
if it just pinches out sure so the foam out only cleans the aluminum and not take the paint off the grill.WARNING any screws removed below the top part with the condenser fan.... watch the lenghts going back in ALL SHORTESTones, long screw that is suppose to be for the top part could go into the condenser coil and ruin your day.doing commercial rooftops a water outlet is always part of the roof system or it gets installed you have rooftops near a high traffic area interstates major city streets they pull everything onto the coils with those high speed condenser fans...2500 tons of rooftops you learn pretty quick the most efficant way to wash coils down most of the time with this job always water with a pressure washer

Old 05-14-12, 06:20 AM
R
I was trying to do it yesterday on one of the units. The fan and motor were note exactly light. Plus, there was no where I could hold that thing. so washing didn't go well.

Is there a spcial tool that you could 'hold' fan and motor while washing. or do you need two people to do the job?

Old 05-14-12, 02:37 PM
S
so you lift it off the top of the unit and put it to the side hang it with a rope ortied to a strip of wood slip it thru the top grill...just keep off that condenser blade any knocking/grabing it around takes it out of center.forget holding and washing think about some type of support for it...removing wires is the last resort but do able

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: