Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

Advice Pls: Installing a through the wall AC unit in an existing sleeve (Noob)

Advice Pls: Installing a through the wall AC unit in an existing sleeve (Noob)

Old 05-11-12, 12:33 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Advice Pls: Installing a through the wall AC unit in an existing sleeve (Noob)

I moved into an apartment building (downtown toronto) that has an existing sleeve in the wall in the living room (approx 400 sq feet room). My goal is to install a unit that would fit the existing sleeve, that would cool the living room and small (10x10) bedroom by placing a fan at the doorway. I have researched to find that a 10,000 BTU unit will be sufficient.

Do these assumptions make sense? If so, I am wondering if there's anything I need to do with the sleeve before I install the new unit. And if anyone can point me in the direction of a good how to guide? I've read a bit and seemed to be missing the steps from sleeve installed onwards (which is where I am starting), but saw a lot about installing a sleeve in the wall.

If I were to DIY could anyone point me in the right direction and recommended tools for the job?

I will update with measurements of the sleeve in case anyone wants to suggest a particular unit (I am very new to this)

Thanks,

JL

Old 05-11-12, 02:43 PM
M
If the case (sleeve) is 16" x 42" it is most likely a PTAC- the type you see in Motel/Hotels and is a standard size for all PTAC's. A GE Zoneline would slip right in. Check the supply plug that it will match the rated voltage.

If it is any other case- then you would have to measure the opening and install the new window a/c with it's own case or fit the window a/c which has a solid case into the space.

Old 05-12-12, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
An air conditioner that is installed in through the wall sleeve is normally designed for that purpose.
These units are made so that the air flow for the outdoor portion enters and is blown out the back.
A common window air conditioner draws its air through the sides and blows out the back.

Make sure you get the correct unit because if you install a window air conditioner in a through the wall sleeve and there is any restriction at all of the air flow the on sides the unit will not last long at all!

PTAC sleeves are now a standard size but through the wall sleeves are not.
If you are buying a sleeve type air conditioner make sure it is the correct size.

Old 05-16-12, 12:22 PM
H
what if the sleeve is bigger than the unit I want to buy what do I do with the extra space?

Old 05-17-12, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
If the sleeve is larger you would normally build a filler panel for the inside.
Exactly how you would do this would depend on the size of the gap and what you have to fasten the panel to.

There is a chance that you could find the correct size through the wall unit to properly fill the space.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: