Best Way to Keep Airflow Contained with Window Air Conditioning Unit

Old 05-14-12, 10:20 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Best Way to Keep Airflow Contained with Window Air Conditioning Unit

I have an a/c unit in my diningroom window which I use to cool my downstairs. I have a doorway from the diningroom and a doorway from the livingroom leading to my hallway. Up to now, I've hung an insulated drape from each doorway to try and contain the cooled air in those rooms. I have animals that need access to the upstairs and a special needs child so I can't put doors up on these. I was thinking of buying clear heavy-gauge vinyl and using velcro to put it up on the doorways. Would that help at all? Any other suggestions would be helpful!
Thanks

Old 05-14-12, 12:37 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure I understand - you have the AC on the lower level and are trying to create access to the upper level without allowing for free air movement?

Old 05-15-12, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I know what you are trying to accomplish and it will work to a certain extent.
One problem however is that even with a curtain you can not stop the flow of humidity which in some cases takes half of the cooling power to lower.

What would help is if you can add another window/wall unit to help with the overall cooling load.

Old 05-15-12, 06:07 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

My concern is to keep the cool air contained in the first floor rooms and not into the hallway.

The way my downstairs is set up is that the rooms run into each other; living room-diningroom-kitchen. The two doorways lead to the hall which leads to the stairs. If I put a unit in the living room we won't be able to hear the tv; the kitchen, well

It does get nice downstairs and you can tell the difference going from the hall to the living or dining room.

Would the vinyl work better than the drapes? My goal is to have the unit not work as hard.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: