$3200 for new air handler, 13 seer 2.5 ton installed --too much?

Old 05-17-12, 07:51 PM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$3200 for new air handler, 13 seer 2.5 ton installed --too much?

Hi,
I have a dual unit hvac system and the existing 2 ton York F2RP024H06B air handler is creating a ton of condensation, so much so that it is dripping through to the closet below. They tray is half full. The pipe drains fine to the exterior. There is even moisture all in the floor under the unit. So, I think it needs to be replaced. It was installed in 2001 hen the townhouse was built.

A few years ago, I paid for a new compressor to go with this. It is 2.5 ton, turns out.

Home is cooling fine. The professional who came today said it will be $3200 to replace the air handler and add an electronic sensor, that will shut the unit off if too much moisture is building.

I am a single woman who knows very little about this sort of thing. Also, I'm not exactly loaded, so will be charging this. I just want to know if the price is what I should expect and fair. All help appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-17-12, 08:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd step back! You have a 2.5 ton outside and a 2 ton inside. Start by having a heat load done on your home. Any good company should do this with out you having to ask. If they don't they aren't worth trusting IMO. This will tell you exactly what size unit you need. York has had major issues with coils leaking are you sure the unit is not freezing up?

Old 05-17-12, 08:25 PM
I
Thanks for your reply. I have no idea what a heat test is but suppose I will google it shortly. I have no idea if it is freezing up or how to tell. It seems to cool fine. So, you think I should not have this company do the work. Instead, have a company come in and run a heat test to tell me what is needed. Then, if it is a new air handler, what is a reasonable amount to pay would you say? Thanks a ton.

Old 05-17-12, 08:29 PM
T
I dont like any of it. I have had many customers say that they think their AC is draining too much. Nonsense! You need a competent tech to troubleshoot the probable drainage issue. Just because some water is dripping outside doesn't mean all is well with the drainage system.

Old 05-17-12, 10:04 PM
C
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Your ac is fine, your air handler is also fine. The problem is the drain pipe. it should drain all water outside. fix a drain problem is very easy. Go find another AC tech or plumber, they will fix it for you and much cheaper than to replace the air handler. JUST tell him you want drain all water out, no leak inside...

Old 05-17-12, 10:30 PM
I
If the problem is the drain pipe alone, why is so much water gathering in the trey and elsewhere. I heard there should be no water in the trey just about always. Is that accurate? Also, if the problem were just in the pipe then why is water saturating the plywood under the flooring beneath the unit and leaking to the downstairs closet, too? Water is on the floor, but it is not overflow from the pan that the pipe tot he exterior drains from. (?)

Old 05-17-12, 11:33 PM
C
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You are correct, you should not see water anywhere. Either the drain pan is leaking or the water drip outside of the pan, or the drain pipe itself is leaking. If your drain system was installed right, have both primary and secondary drain pipes, then the water does not even go to the pan, your drain pan should be always dry. Even you have only one drain pipe, all water should still be drained out immediately, not stay in the pan, not onto your floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: