Window AC unit turning off and on repeatedly

Old 05-21-12, 11:10 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Window AC unit turning off and on repeatedly

Yesterday my 2 year old window AC unit starting cutting off by itself and "restarting" over and over. I thoroughly cleaned the coils and filter a few hours ago to see if that was the issue. Well the unit is still turning off and on, but now it wants to stay off for a while then randomly come on minutes later. I figured I would try the ol' trusty way of fixing things and banged my fist on the top of it. When I did that it came back on for a few then back off again. After testing a bit I have came to the conclusion that there is a short or something in the control panel. If I apply pressure to the front of the digital panel it will react and go on and off. Any clue what would be loose in that panel that would make this happen?

My AC unit is a Kenmore 580-76081700 7800 btu.

UPDATE: I took off the front panel and wiggled wires in there. Seems the short or loose connection is with the power cable. The panel sits up against the power cable wire where it comes into the electrical box. Any ideas?

Last edited by janix2011; 05-21-12 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-23-12, 12:10 PM
A
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Before doing any modification I would recommend confirming that the control panel power cable is indeed the cause of your problem. Try running the unit with the control panel detached and carefully moving the power wire (wouldn't want to break it) to see if there is a position that makes the unit function properly.

If you can't get it to work properly and your sure that the power wire is the culprit than you might consider taking the time to solder on a new section of wire to replace the section that is bad. If its a problem at the connector this can get really tricky. It's kind of hard to give specific advice without seeing the unit and the way the wires are hooked up. Do they run through a removable connector or are they soldered to the control board is my biggest question.

I *****found a diagram of the control board wiring (the 3rd picture on that page) but it's rather difficult to tell exactly what you are describing. take a look at the parts listed, maybe they have a replacement wiring loom if that is indeed whats bad.

If you replace the wire or manage to find a suitable fix make sure that when reassembling the unit you fix the original cause of the problem. My guess is that the wires being pushed up against the electrical box and the vibration of the unit has slowly broken apart the wire inside the insulation. your best bet to preventing this is repositioning the control board as much as possible or pushing out a little more space in the electrical box (if it's metal).

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-23-12 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Link removed. Advertising NOT allowed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: