AC not working

Old 05-23-12, 07:36 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC not working

Outside condenser is not coming on. The AC is new last year and ran without issue. Won"t turn on this year. I turn on the thermostat, furnace fan comes on, outside at the condenser I hear a click(snap), but nothing happens. I have checked the breaker and outdoor disconnect, all are on. Please help.

Old 05-23-12, 09:57 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you are sure the power is on to the condenser, then next thing to check is the contactor, push the contactor button in to see if that help (may be that was that click), if not, next thing to check will be the capacitor, you need a multi-meter to do that (you can find the procedures on Youtube), after that, check fan motor and compressor, If both fan and compressor stopped at the same time, I don't think that was the problem. hopefully, the capacitor is the issue. (The capacitor is pretty cheap)

Old 05-23-12, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
After the click...do you hear a humming? It's normally pretty noticeable.

If you can take a stick or similar and start the fan spinning then it comes up to normal speed, that's a pretty good indication the cap is the issue.

If it's only a year old (or less)...it should normally be completely covered under warranty.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: