House Air Conditioner won't shut off

Old 05-24-12, 02:23 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
House Air Conditioner won't shut off

I have a Honeywell digital thermostat and when I switch it to cool it automatically comes on. However when it meets the temperature that is set, it doesn't turn off. It keeps running. The air conditioner fan outside is running, along with the furnace in the basement. The cool air is blowing fine. If I switch it to the heat control it works normal...On and Off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-E

Old 05-24-12, 08:06 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
So it automatically comes on.... can you explain this a little better? What is the temp in the house? What is the setpoint at? Is this a new stat? Most thermostats today hold tight tolerences. SO, lets say you have the stat set to 74.... The ac will not shut off as soon as it gets to 74. If it is set for 74 it may not come on until 74.5 and not shut off until 73.5. Just because the setpoint and the house temp match does not mean that the ac should be shut off or that it should be running.

Old 05-24-12, 09:01 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First, Thankyou for getting back to me. If I switch the thermostat to cool, it automatically comes on. Even if I have the temp set to a higher temp. Everything works great with the heat side (on and off). Example: If I go to bed I'll and the current temp is 77, I'll put it on cool and it auto comes on. The temp is set at 72. I'll wake up in the middle of the night and it will be like 67 degrees. So when it hits the set temp to shutoff, it keeps going. The thermostat is a newer one that I just install a few months ago. Thanks for any info you can provide. I'm pretty handy with this stuff. Just looking for some direction on what I need to check out.

Old 05-25-12, 05:11 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Which thermostat model do you have? It sounds like you have a bad thermostat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: