What do I look for when my hvac system wont stop running

Old 05-25-12, 07:47 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What do I look for when my hvac system wont stop running

My unit runs fine blowing cold air but wont stop running even when the thermostat kicks off?

Old 05-25-12, 08:05 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Are both the blower in the furnace AND the outside unit running? If only the inside blower then first be certain that the switch on the thermostat to select between fan Auto-On is in the Auto position.

Post back.

Old 05-25-12, 10:44 PM
J
Its both, everything about the unit is working normal except that all of a sudden it decided to stop kicking off. I even switched out the thermostat.

Old 05-25-12, 11:16 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Then most likely you have a short circuit between the thermostat wires red and yellow. Have you done anything that might have damaged the wiring? Even something as simple as pounding a nail into the wall to hang a picture?

Do you know anything about electricity and wiring?

If you trip the circuit breaker for the furnace does the outside unit also stop?

Old 05-26-12, 06:29 AM
J
Yes I know about wiring fairly well but no expert by any means, I did test what is working properly and found that the ac responds to the thermostat and breaker, turning on and off. So the problem I see now is that the blower itself simply wont shut off.

Old 05-26-12, 11:31 AM
R
disconnect the G wire at the airhandler unit. if the unit stops then somehow your getting power at the g terminal on the board either by R to G short or possible circuit board issue. once you have G off the board, if it shuts off, then see if you have 24volts on the G wire to ground. get back to us

Old 05-29-12, 09:27 AM
J
I removed g wire and it kept running, i dont have a tester to check if it has power but nothing happened when i removed it. It is definitely just the blower having issue though. The a/c responds to the thermostat and turns on and off just the blower that is not. Also I removed the panel and the lights on the circuit board come on but the green ok light blinks....does that help at all?

Old 05-29-12, 01:24 PM
R
did you wait after you removed G. they typically have about a minute to minute and a half delay before the blower shuts off. you may have a short in the board somewhere.

Old 05-29-12, 02:41 PM
J
No I didnt Ill try that and get back to you, thanks so far.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: