AC/Thermostat issues???

Old 05-26-12, 11:43 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC/Thermostat issues???

Hello, we started up our AC for the first time yesterday and it ran fine. Then when we tried to cool down the house again the AC no longer worked at all. So I tried all the breakers, fuses etc but no power. Oh, and of course the furnace is not working either. So we bought a new thermostat but I read on here about " hard wiring" to test out the AC and furnace. Well that did nothing so with my very limited knowledge, I'm guessing it's not a thermostat problem as it seems I'm getting no power anywhere...what am I missing here????? TY for any help!!!

Shark

Old 05-26-12, 02:05 PM
R
you have no line voltage or low voltage?? you know for sure you have no power?? you may just have no low voltage supplying the stat, which could be a fuse, blown transformer, shorted wires etc

Old 05-26-12, 03:28 PM
W
Well, I went to buy a voltage meter and I went with a cheaper one that just lights up when you place it on the wire(s). I'm really starting to think this is going to be a job for the pro's!!!....

Old 05-26-12, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Well....what you are experiencing isn't that hard to at least try to diagnose. Unfortunately the test light you bought won't be much help.

A simple analog (with a needle instead of an LCD display) multimeter with normally runs about $10...thats really all the average homeowner needs.

You need to be able to read DC and AC voltage...Ohms is nice to have for things like checking water heaters, fuses, and such. I've never seen even the cheapest one not have all the functions you need.

You need to do step by step troubleshooting. You can get that help here, but we need to know exactly what and how you check.

To start off....
What kind of thermostat do you have? A newer one with a display or old style with levers and dials?

This really could be as simple as a blown fuse (and probably is)...but we have to start with the basics...we can't see what you see.

Old 05-31-12, 08:34 PM
L
I am just posting here so I can follow along , I have the exact same problem
I did start my own thread but just wanted to get as much info as possible thanks in advance

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: