Blower Motor Replacement

Old 05-27-12, 12:58 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blower Motor Replacement

We have a Goodman Packaged Unit (A/C and Nat. Gas Heat) on the roof of our house, model PGJ048075-1. This has the GE 5SME39SL 0338 ECM blower motor. The blower motor is making a noise that now sounds like a cricket but louder. I thought it maybe bearing noise and thinking if I oil them that the noise would go away. Going up and looking I decided not to oil as turning/spinning the fans manually did not produce any noise. Thinking if the bearings were the issue I would hear noise.

What I noticed while on the roof while the AC was running. The blower motor would spin without any noise. It seemed that it would get up to speed, not sure if it hit 1050 rpm but was moving fairly fast. Then at some point it sounds like an electrical circuit is made and the motor spins slower. Also at this time the motor starts making the noise. The noise only happens when the blower motor is on. I hear no other unusual noise coming from the unit.

Couple of questions.
1) I read on these forums that this motor is somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 - $1200? This accurate or is this motor in the range of $300-$500? I haven't been able to get pricing on this exact motor but Sears parts direct has what they say is the replacement for $445, part B13400803PAS.

2) Could I replace this motor (safely) with any 1hp motor with the same electrical configuration? Meaning any 120/240V, 12.8/9.1 A, 1Ph, 60Hz, 1hp motor?

3) If I could replace (safely), would it be an upgrade to replace the motor with a higher rpm motor? Say going from 1050 rpm to 3450 rpm? Cool the house faster?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

tuck

Old 05-27-12, 02:22 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
1. if you found it for $445 then that is the price you can get it for........

2. You MUST replace it with an ECM motor designed specifcally for your unit.

3. NO, you must use an exact motor for replacement.

Old 05-27-12, 05:47 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
There's a chance that the module is bad.

The module should be a lot cheaper than the motor if available.

Old 05-28-12, 06:17 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have replaced several ECM with regular PSC motors for customers who didn't want or have the money for the ECM. I do the job for around $400 and haven't had any complaints yet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: