Need troubleshooting help with Goodman air handler

Old 05-28-12, 05:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need troubleshooting help with Goodman air handler

Im having an issue with my air handler. I came home from work and my a/c was cycling on and off. I went in the air handler closet and noticed lots of condensation and the foam insulation around one of the lines seemed crunchy like it was iced over. I tried putting the thermostat in the fan On position and the fan ran but sounded louder. After about 30 seconds I noticed a burnt smell coming from my vents so I shut off the thermostat and air handler power.

Next day I open up the air handler and look at the control board. I dont see anything burnt on the board or anything unusual. I turned the thermostat back to fan ON and powered up the air handler. I wanted to see if I could find the burning smell so I hit the door switch and it came on. It started up loud again and I let it run for about 30-45 seconds and I heard a faint crackle sound. I turned it off again and I could hear the crackling coming from what sounded like the motor. Another strange thing was it sounded like there was some water in the fan housing.

So I'm assuming that motor is bad but the outside unit was still trying to run refrigerant to the coil but since the fan wasn't running up to speed the coil froze and water dripped into the fan housing.

Should I just replace the motor? Could it possibly be something else? Is it as easy as it looks? It seems like all I need to do is disconnect the wires, unscrew two bolts and the whole thing will just slide out. Do I need a special tool to take the fan drum off the motor shaft? I think its pretty obvious with the crackling and burning the motor is bad but is there something else bad that might cause a new motor to fry?

Thanks,
G

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-12, 01:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The bad motor may have been caused by a frozen coil that thawed out and dripped onto the motor. Yes, motor needs replaced, but also check your filter. The a/c may be low on charge as well, you would need to call a pro to find that out.