Smoke Alarms going off during A/C service

Old 05-29-12, 03:29 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Smoke Alarms going off during A/C service

We recently had our A/C serviced and some of the smoke alarms went off. The service guys kept asking if we were cooking but we weren't. Does the refrigerant cause this as I believe they were charging the system up but I believe they were doing this outside. Any ideas what causes this? There were no smoke or flames for sure. Is it safe when this happens? Thanks.

Old 05-29-12, 05:45 PM
E
Are they combo smoke and carbon monoxide alarms? I do not believe the freon can cause this. How do smoke alarms work anyways? Are the alarms near any returns or supply's?

Old 05-29-12, 06:22 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Typcially this can not be caused by refrigerant. It can be caused by leak repairs that require brazing.

On a side note - if they were charging the system due to it being low....Did they find the leak, cause the system is sealed and doesn't consume refrigerant so it had to leak out if it was low.

Old 05-29-12, 07:53 PM
I
They were following up after a recent tune up which was to:

- Replace a condensate pan
- Install/replace(?) a filter dryer - what is that?
- Detect and fix a leak

In regards to the leak I believe they installed a "wet switch" instead and told us to ring them if the light flashes - does this make sense?

Old 05-29-12, 08:13 PM
installing a filter drier would entail: (short version) removing the refrigerant and brazing in/out a drier, pulling a vacuum, returning refrigerant to system. What kind of leak were they repairing? Water, refrigerant?

Old 05-29-12, 08:32 PM
I
Refrigerant I believe as we were finding our upstairs unit (forced air A/C) was freezing up a lot blocking the airflow. They charged it up as part of the initial tune up and came back to do the other bits as it took 2 weeks to get the condensate pan.

Old 06-16-12, 07:17 AM
I
I did speak the engineer eventually.

On the subject of the smoke alarms they believe it may have been caused by having the patio door open in the basement and it may have caused fumes from the furnace to come inside instead of via the power venter.

They didn't find a leak after performing a pressure test after draining the refrigerant.

What does a filter drier do?

Old 06-16-12, 07:41 AM
A filter drier removes moisture and debris from the system refrigerant.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: