Help a newbie!!!!

Old 05-29-12, 03:41 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help a newbie!!!!

On my ac th fan spins but no cold of air comes out in the house I had the ac unit recharged about 3 years ago but I did take it apart and I noticed that one of the wires looked melted off so i peeled it back and reattached the wire and the ac unit wont work at all but when I unhook the compressor the fan spins I suspect there is some kind of a short going on please help me relove this problem. I have provided pictures

Attached Images       
Old 05-29-12, 04:39 PM
D
btw this heat is killing me :P

Old 05-29-12, 05:42 PM
E
do you have a volt meter? check continuity between each of the compressor terminals by putting one end on the ground wire of the condenser or frame and see if you have condinuity between each terminal on the compressor and ground. If you do then you do have a short. If not then maybe you miswired something.

Edit. In case someone reads this, the wires should be disconnected from the compressor before doing continuity test.

Old 05-29-12, 05:44 PM
D
Im positive theres power its a short because I have to flip the circuit breaker everytime I turn it on

Old 05-29-12, 05:48 PM
E
You dont know what continuity is? If there is a short inside the compressor, then it is dead. Nothing you can do. You can make sure that no wire is touching the frame, cuz it causes the same thing.

Old 05-29-12, 05:50 PM
D
Im sorry Im new at this kinda stuff I make websites for a living :P what is condinuity? and how much does a new compressor cost?? or should I just buy a new unit

Old 05-29-12, 06:04 PM
E
if the unit is less than 10 years old i might replace the compressor, though you can get a whole new outdoor unit for a little more. Have you ever had to add freon? If so indoor coil is probably leaking, if not then you are ok. My bad its continuity, and it is a synonym for connected. If they are connected then they have continuity. If the wires inside the compressor melt and touch each other, thats...bad. And if that happens, the compressor is connected to the frame of the unit which causes instant circuit breaker pop. Some older compressors have two wires down at the base, which is used to heat the oil. Sometimes these wires melt and can be cut off to correct the problem. compressor will cost about 1000, a new unit will cost about 1500

Old 05-29-12, 06:08 PM
D
I made sure the wire were not touching the base I think the might of fixed it as all the wires are connected and the unit is running but im not sure how cold the air orignaly was its been about 2 years since the unit worked

Old 05-29-12, 06:30 PM
D
the copper pipe is really cold is that a good sign before it wasnt doing that?

Old 05-30-12, 03:10 PM
E
Ya it should be really cold, but how come its working now? Did you do anything?

Old 05-30-12, 03:14 PM
D
yah it is indeed working correctly now it cooled my house down last night. I just loosened all the wires to the compressor a little bit made sure none were touching the base and it fired right up. I was looking at some stickers on the compressor and I think it says it was made in 86 is that possible? that is what year my house was built

Old 05-30-12, 05:48 PM
E
yeah of course its possible. the old stuff was built to last.

Old 05-30-12, 05:51 PM
D
But i have a question it looks like my ac unit has its own electric meter? why would this be the case?

Old 05-31-12, 11:38 AM
E
Your electric company decided that they would put a monitor on every condenser in your area. At least to the people that agree to it. This grey box with green and yellow lights will turn off your unit whenever there is a high demand for power. In exchange they give you a small credit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: