Recip to Scroll condensers vs change to 410A system.

Old 05-29-12, 07:00 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recip to Scroll condensers vs change to 410A system.

[SIZE=2] I currently have Luxaire 4 ton R22 10SEER condenser with a recip compressor (purchased through W.W.Grainger in 1996 as a Dayton brand) mated to a 5 ton Goodman U60 evaporator installed in 2001 with a new furnace. Everything is working great; but, I know that time is against me because of age the AC will fail at some point. I am guessing that the condenser unit will go first. This is regarding a cool-only system
If I stay with R22 which I have plenty of, I am looking at buying a 4 ton condenser with a Scroll compressor and using my current Evap coil (now 11yrs old). = new stuff for me. I can't seem to find a 4 ton Recip condenser unit with which I would be very comfortable.
I am not a certified AC guy but have installed just a a half dozen units and feel fairly comfortable in this area.

Questions:
(1)Are there any issues with changing from a 4 ton recip condenser unit to an R22 4 ton scroll compressor condenser unit and keeping the 5 ton evap the way it is or should I change the metering orifice to be closer to a 4 ton. If so, I would appreciate a suggestion as to size and PN to use. I am not sure what orifice is in the evap which is a Goodman U60 (PN: 15344-07) (SN:0008421486) but am sure it was never changed out of the box by the installer. I have an 081 (PN:063-86997-012) and an 084 (PN:063-86997-019) orifice that I saved which came with the evap but were not installed.

(2)Is this the right way to go or because of age of current components should I switch to a complete R410A AC inside and out with a pre-charged condenser unit? I can work with R22 but have no experience with R410A units.

(3)If I go R410A, should I replace the current 3/8 and 7/8 lineset? Either way, I will probably do the work myself as I have done it before..
My vacuum pump will pump down to 28.75 (checking with 2 gauges) so I should be good there. Comments??? as to time to run the vacuum pump? In the past I had all the charts; but, over the years, I seem to have lost track of them.

(4)Any questions or info you can supply will certainly be helpful.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Jay
[/SIZE]

Old 05-29-12, 07:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
sorry, we can't help you....... Please see http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...ng-your-c.html

In order to answer the questions you ask we would have indulge information pertaining to properly charging an a/c system. HIRE A PRO!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: