Howto open/clean single unit outdoor Trane

Old 06-03-12, 12:09 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Howto open/clean single unit outdoor Trane

Our 13 SEER Trane Model 45cc3048a1 unit is 4 years old this month. We have no problems (that we know of). The unit has had one service 3 years ago. I plan on having the tech look at the system this week.

Last week or so I noticed a musty smell from the air duct the first minute or so the unit kicked on. I went outside and found that the area around drain tube was dry. So - the water was building up inside the unit - which we have been running for about the last month. I've cleaned the tube and it is now draining.

Everything sits outside. The unit is huge. Much larger than our fridge. Inside there is a 12 foot long tunnel which goes through a closet and pulls the air from a hallway. That is where we clean the filter. This morning I opened the filter and looked down the tunnel (which had a few snails but otherwise no surprises). I guess it is the air handler that I see. The unit is on its side (I believe). Outside the fan is on top. The compressor sits on the floor and the blower ? sits closest to the house.

Anyway - when I looked down the tunnel I could see that there was a 1 foot square area that looks like mold (from 12 feet away) on whatever part of the a/c I'm looking at. Is that another 'permanent' filter attached to the air handler ?

I'd like to know the proper way to open the a/c unit up and look. The area closest the house has like a one foot space which they covered between the a/c and the house. Then the next area of the a/c has 3 metal panels which look to be seperate. One side (side A) is a solid sheet of metal held to the unit with maybe 20 screws or so. All around the edges and then 10 or so in the center of the panel. Next there is a top. The other side is where the power and drain tubes go in. That panel is also held to the slab with a hurricane strap.

So - after turning off the power - do I open side A, the top, or side B ? What is the part called where I think I see mold and how do I clean it ?

Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks for any help.

Old 06-03-12, 01:57 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Here's some images...

Four images should be attached...

Attached Images     
Old 06-03-12, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 893 Upvotes on 754 Posts
Units I have worked on like that the side panels come off using a 5/16" hex driver or socket. That should get you any place to need to reach.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: