Is there such a thing as a slow freon leak???

Old 06-07-12, 10:45 AM
Z
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there such a thing as a slow freon leak that may delay freon depletion?l???

if you have a tiny leak, i suspect the freon will completely vacate the system fairly quickly

and leaking will continue even if system is not being run

Last edited by zeppygoat; 06-07-12 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-07-12, 11:34 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Most coolant leaks are small and slow. The coolant is rarely depleted before performance drops and maintenance is done. Why do you ask?

Old 06-07-12, 02:34 PM
Z
slow freon leak?

if there is a freon leak, how long will it take all the freon to leak out.

if you have a teenytiny leak in a balloon it will not retain air.

Old 06-07-12, 02:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Not my area of expertise but I would think the pressure would be greater while the unit is running = more apt to leak or leak faster than when idle. A fast leak would be one you could hear, a small leak could take a good while [months] before the freon would be low enough to cause problems.

Old 06-07-12, 02:48 PM
C
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It can be from 1 day to many years depends on how small/slow the leak is. some leak only occurs while the system is running due to high pressure.

Old 06-07-12, 02:53 PM
Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts
It's possible to have a very slow leak.

---------------------------------------
Refrigerant is not "coolant" and "freon" is just a brand name.

Not my area of expertise but I would think the pressure would be greater while the unit is running = more apt to leak or leak faster than when idle. A fast leak would be one you could hear, a small leak could take a good while [months] before the freon would be low enough to cause problems.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ne...#ixzz1x8vS9l00
When the leak is on the high side (downstream of the compressor but upstream of the indoor coil), operation increases leakage.

When the leak is on the low side (indoor coil and larger, insulated line leading to compressor), operating reduces leakage.

Old 06-07-12, 04:32 PM
E
Yes, freon leaks can be extremely small. Since copper expands when it gets cold, the evaporator coil will usually only leak when the system is running. Though you can have a leak that is even smaller than that. Those micro leaks can be caused by a nail going into the freon lines. the nail will hold the leak, mostly, releasing one bubble every few minutess or hours. but that only happens during constuction or siding repair on a house.

Old 06-07-12, 04:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Refrigerant is not "coolant"
Right. I somehow got a/c refrigerant confused with the stuff I pour into the radiator in the car! Point taken!

Old 06-09-12, 08:49 PM
S
do a visual on al the lines accessable and grab the insulation looking for oil residue...when freon leaks out so goes the oil droplets that rip around the system.if you went thru a winter and had just a fart on the shradder pins that is considered an OFF leak.how often has it been filled up over the years there.if you find an oil wetness any where or wet dust dirt out on that condenser might be a leak.

Mod Note...Sminker, Please check this link!

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...ng-your-c.html

Last edited by Gunguy45; 06-09-12 at 09:31 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: