Window and Portable A/C placement

Old 06-07-12, 02:59 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Window and Portable A/C placement

I have a 450 square foot apartment and I purchased two airconditioners to cool it prior to moving in. One is a 9000BTU portable unit for the living and kitchen area, the other is a 5000BTU window unit for the bed room. The problem is my bedroom window is a fire escape, so I cannot us the window unit. If I set up the portable unit in the bedroom and leave the door open with the window unit in the living room will my apartment still cool effectively? Living room + Kitchen is 300 square feet. The bedroom is 150 square feet.Name:  703(1).jpg
Views: 16057
Size:  34.5 KB

Old 06-07-12, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 909 Upvotes on 767 Posts
Obviously the bedroom will be cooler then the other spaces but with a fan pointed out the bedroom door you could help spread it around.

Old 06-07-12, 08:09 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
In all probability you find the portable unit will "short cycle" (run for a short time in cool mode and then just fan mode and then cool again continuously) in the bedroom leaving the humidity even higher than it was without the A/C. If this is a single duct model it will also be bringing in an equal amount of hot, humid outside air through cracks and crevices in the building as it exhausts through the single duct. I ALWAYS recommend dual duct portable A/C units.

The small window unit will try to run continuously but will be be no match for the requirements of the rest of the apartment. Using a few 20 inch fans to blow air from/to the bedroom might help but the noise of all this machinery would drive me nuts along with the drafts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: