Help, I screwed up big-time

Old 06-07-12, 04:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help, I screwed up big-time

I have an older home heat pump that required recharging every 6 months to a year. Several technicians have not been able to find the leak. I recently decided to try a can of super stop leak - big mistake!!! Evidently it clogged up something and now the system doesn't cool at all. Is there a way to recover from this screwup, or have I totally ruined my system? Will/can a technician work on this system now that I have done this, or am I on my own?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-12, 07:01 PM
The leak sealers usually work when in contact with air/oxygen and if the service techs weren't careful in keeping air out of the system, the sealer can clog driers, metering devices, cap tubes, and linger in the oil of a system.
You must surely tell the tech this stuff has been installed in the system as it can ruin his very expensive tools as well.
I for one will not service equipment if I know the sealer in the system.
I would suggest the system may need replacing as well as the copper refrigerant lines to make this junk is no longer a risk.

However, you may get by with finding the restriction, cleaning it out and installing a new liquid drier at the indoor coil, completely evacuate the system to microns and recharge with new refrigerant and hope for the best. This will be very expensive.

Next time find a competent HVAC tech/company who has the proper tools and work ethics to find the leak.

It is imperative that no non-condensibles enter the refrigerant circuit.

Old 06-07-12, 08:28 PM
You can try turning it to heat for a few minutes. It will reverse the flow of the freon and hopefully can jog loose something. Then wait a few minutes and go back to cool.

Old 06-07-12, 08:31 PM
If all these leak sealants are so terrible that they solve nothing, then why does every parts supply dealer sell them?

Old 06-08-12, 04:22 AM
They are terrible....When not used properly. I will NOT knowingly hook up my gauges to ANY system that has leak sealer in it. I will not nor have I ever installed leak sealant in a system. 95% of the time I will find the leak.

Old 06-08-12, 04:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 26 Votes on 23 Posts
If all these leak sealants are so terrible that they solve nothing, then why does every parts supply dealer sell them?
Money.

Old 06-11-12, 08:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, you screwed up big time. As far as I'm concerned, it's new system time. Once that goop is in a system, there's no getting rid of it. You'll need a new condenser, evap coil, & line set. About the only thing you can salvage is maybe the blower. That's certianly one of the worst products to ever enter the market. in my opinion.