How to wire heat pump as A/C

Old 06-11-12, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to wire heat pump as A/C

My old A/C condensor died and I replaced it with a lightly used Haier HR48C1VAR. While technically a heat pump, I already have an efficient gas furnace and just want to use the unit as an A/C. Unfortunately the wiring connections are giving me grief.

What I have to work with is two control wires from the thermostat - 24v power and 24v common that control cooling. The unit has 4 input control wires, labeled as follows: Red=24vPower, Blue=24vCommon, Yellow=Compressor, and Orange=ReversinValue.

One would think that connecting the power (24vPower to Red and 24vCommon to Blue) would power up the circuit board and light the LED - but it doesn't.

What I jury rigged to make it cool the house was to connect 24vCommon to Blue and 24vPower to both Yellow and Orange. The result was fan and compressor both run and it cools (rather than heats), but the Red wire is unconnected and the circuit board LED is off. In fact, I can't get the circuit board LED to stay on with any wiring connection I've tried that operates unit.

I suspect there is a "correct" way to wire it so that circuit board actually controls cooling, but I can't track down any details. Any suggestions?

(Note - I did track down a YouTube video that appears to be about the same unit, but other than giving a visual clue what unit looks like it doesn't add any technical details Reversing Valve Eval Haier Heat Pump - YouTube )

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-12, 07:26 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The circuit board is not important if it cools. Wiring both Y and O to 24V hot and C to 24V common will make the unit work properly.