Needs help on condenser contactor 24V problem

Old 06-11-12, 09:34 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Needs help on condenser contactor 24V problem

Hi, every one, first time here, I have a 2.5 ton Amana, about 10 years old. Start Yesterday the condenser stops before the T-stat set temp was reached. Air handler's blower keep running. I removed the condenser panel, and found the contactor lost 24V power. But the 24V does get to the outside of the condenser. Inside the condenser the 24V wire go to 'time delay module' and another control device(s) before it goes to the contactor. Can some one tell me what the other control device is ? (I don't know if the 24V stops at the time delay or the other device, but has to be one of them.) Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-12, 10:27 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
That device should be some sort of pressure cut off switch.

Old 06-12-12, 07:18 PM
V
pressure switch. You need to have checked the system pressure.

Last edited by hvactechfw; 06-13-12 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-13-12, 10:00 PM
S
I'll check Tomorrow, my gauge does not work anymore, I ordered a new gauge, should be here Tomorrow.

Old 06-14-12, 03:53 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Old 06-14-12, 06:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
You need to find out where you are loosing the 24v. If it is at the pressure switch, it's time to call a local servicer.

Old 06-15-12, 10:26 AM
S
May be over charged, but I have not touched this unit for 2 years, never had problem before. Just found another problem, the T-stat stop call for COOL(the indicator is gone from the screen) before the set temp reached, I checked 24V wire to the condenser immediately, it does not have 24V this time to the unit. This is different from 2 days ago, at that time, the 24V was on the wire but not to the contactor. I am confused now, do I have one problem or two problems? This does not happen all the time, Today, the unit has been running all morning, no problem at all. It happens randomly. May be the control board problem ? Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by hvactechfw; 06-15-12 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Removed pressure readings. See charging ac for rules of the forum!
Old 06-15-12, 11:06 AM
S
Let me summary the problem(s) again. 2 days ago, Condenser stopped, air handler blower was still running, 24V got to the unit, but not to the contactor.
This morning. T-stat stoped call for cool before set temp was reached, air handler blower also stopped, nothing running, 24V did not get to the condenser unit. After 30 minutes, I play with the T-stat for a while, up and down the temp, etc. all of sudden, everything started back on, so far running 3+ hours, cycled several times already, no problem at all.

Old 06-15-12, 05:11 PM
S
havctech.. Sorry I did not know that pressure readings can not be posted here.