A/C Coils Need Cleaning?

Old 06-15-12, 09:58 AM
B
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
A/C Coils Need Cleaning?

So I have an annual tuneup on both my HVAC system which includes central air. I like the company I'm paying to do it. At the last A/C tuneup, the technician said my A/C "coils" could use a cleaning, and that costs extra (like $500 for two units).

My question is - how important is it that I keep these clean? Probably not something I can do myself?

Old 06-15-12, 10:57 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
If they are dirty, you need to clean them. It is important to keep it clean, but $500 is on the high side. My suggestion is if they are not too dirty and your AC is still perform well, don't do it, Very often, they start leak after you mess around with it.

Old 06-15-12, 11:10 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor coils you can clean yourself for about 30 dollars

Old 06-15-12, 11:17 AM
B
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Thank you both for the feedback! Yea, the tech said it was recommended but not a must right now. Said the piece was important to keep clean. Just see now the $500 included some minor duct sealing.

ok, thanks for the valuable feedback!

Old 06-15-12, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Well...when I bought a brand new house...I didn't know much about HVAC except to change the filters regularly. I did that using pleated filters not the cheap blue ones.

Well...18 months later I transferred too CA for 3 yrs so I rented out the house. Wife (now Ex) moved back about 1 yr after we left. Every time I came home I told her she had to change the filters and I'd buy enough to last for 9 months or so. When I finally got back into the house. The filter looked like it hadn't been changed in a few months, so I figured I better check the evaporator coil.

It was clean as a whistle when wiped with a rag...but I used the spray cleaner my contractor neighbor recommended and even the runoff wasn't really that bad. The outside unit was another matter...I spent a couple of hours getting it clean and straightening the fins.

btw...when I did the evap coil...I did discover that they had installed it backwards to allow easier hookup of the lines. Should have been "X -> \", but they did "X -> / " (mighta been the other way round...but it wasn't according to the manufacturer instructions that I had). I also found about a 1" gap the entire width (bout 30") of the bottom connection between the furnace/air handler and the coil. Basically I was blowing a ton of conditioned air (either heated or cooled) into my attic for 4 yrs.

The whole point of this is...well sealed ducts and a tight fitting filter changed regularly...make a big difference.

Old 06-15-12, 04:27 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Five hundy seems high if they are just going to clean them in place. Where I am, in south Florida, when they get dirty they usually need to be removed and cleaned. And that costs usually around $450 per unit.

Old 06-16-12, 06:29 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
NO one here can speculate on price. We dont know the details of the job, and you said it was for 2 units. Prices vary by location and contractor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: